110 brakes - when are vented fitted?

Quick brakes question -

Just checked over a 110 I picked up the other day and noticed it has a solid brake disk on one side, and a vented disk on the other! (front brakes)

It's a '93 CSW - I presume someone has had to replace a disk, and saved a couple of pounds by getting a solid one, which would still work in a vented caliper, though I would of thought an earylish defender would have had solid disks anyway?

Trying to figure out which type in need to buy to replace them

its been through at least one MOT test like this as well...

It wouldn't suprise me if it came out of the factory like that. If Ford can fit drums to one side and disc on the other on the front axle, If they can fit bonded linings on one side and rivited the other with drums . If a car can come out of the factory with the steering wheel on one side and the pedals on the other AND make the transporter....Then I can believe anything.

By the way. The Ford with the disc drum set -up had been serviced twice.

IIRC the callipers are also very different....Has it two or four pot callipers ?

Ask your local dealer to do a check on the VIN No to see what should have been fitted.

I think even darker forces than the factory have been at work on this car :)

I just managed to find the info I need on this link from Rimmer Bros -

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/content--name-Land-Rover-Defender-Introduction

from June '93, vented discs and rear discs were fitted as standard, so at least I know what to go shopping for now.

Good link.

Be also aware that some late 200Tdi station wagons, some may have been County's, were factory fitted with rear disc brakes. There was a guy from Washington that was on LRO many years ago with such a build.

Have you, well I know you will, checked to non vented calliper to see that it is a vented calliper.

AFAIK. there are four front brake options, there might be more.

Two pot non vented

Two pot vented

Four pot non vented

Four pot vented.

A friend converted his E reg 110 from solid disks to vented. It required new disks, new callipers, new bolts. Nothing else was changed.

I am about to do this conversion on my 90 (Disco axles). I have discs, callipers and pads, what different bolts will I need?

Chris

I don't think you'll need any different bolts, but we ordered new calliper mounting bolts as a matter of course. Being a safety critical part, and not knowing whether the old ones would come out, we played it safe - its not like they're expensive.

I don't think you'll need any different bolts, but we ordered new calliper mounting bolts as a matter of course. Being a safety critical part, and not knowing whether the old ones would come out, we played it safe - its not like they're expensive.

Hmmm....What threads would be used on an E reg 90. UNF or metric ?

The later ones with the vented callipers have metric threads. Bolts are dealer only and expensive each. I carry four in stock at home. Bolt head require a 13mm 12 socket. Thread size IIRC is 12mm X 1.25

The later ones with the vented callipers have metric threads. Bolts are dealer only and expensive each. I carry four in stock at home. Bolt head require a 13mm 12 socket. Thread size IIRC is 12mm X 1.25

the bolts arnt dealer only.

The bolt size you'll need depends on the swivel housing, not the caliper.

I changed to Vented and converted my rear Salisbury to disks on my 89 110 and it made a hell of a difference in stopping,but thats due to changing to rear disks.

You won't get any difference in stopping power with changing to vented as it's still the same surface area.The difference is in heat dissipation.You can work the brakes harder eliminating some of the brake fade.

They would be a good upgrade on say,a heavy laden truck or someone using trailers a lot.

IIRC they were UNF on this 110, but it does depend on what swivels are fitted to the axle, not the age of the vehicle or the type of calliper. They are avaliable from all good parts suppliers, Paddocks, Craddocks, LR Series etc. They are not dealer only parts.

Is it worth going vented?

I plan to go vented on my 90 because it is an auto and so has little or no engine braking. Since I enjoy places like the Pyrenees and the Alps downhill braking is something I need to consider, especially with a loaded truck!!

If driven hard on twisty roads I could get the brakes on my old 90 (discs all round) to stop working entirely due to heat build-up! It only happened once, then I was more careful!

Chris

AFAIC Paddocks, Craddocks, LR Series are dealers.

In my book, 'dealers' means Land Rover, Paddocks et al are parts suppliers, so it depends on what the OP meant.

The bolts are UNF or Metric depending on age of hubs, with 12-spline heads. They are not unique to Land Rover at all, we have just assembled some gas turbine casings for a customer with the same style of bolt, you should be able to get them from top end engineering sources, but why bother when you can get them from Paddocks when you buy your disks and callipers.

I plan to go vented on my 90 because it is an auto and so has little or no engine braking. Since I enjoy places like the Pyrenees and the Alps downhill braking is something I need to consider, especially with a loaded truck!!

If driven hard on twisty roads I could get the brakes on my old 90 (discs all round) to stop working entirely due to heat build-up! It only happened once, then I was more careful!

Chris

You would benefit, then. Mudpluggers would suffer from vented discs as they fill up with mud and cause disc corrosion and vibration. So, it depends on your circumstances, not just the vehicle type.