Side Slope Land Rover

broken90

I think he means he agrees Si!

Water-filled tyres is a good idea, best to use anti-freeze if doing it in the winter though ;)

Can just see you going along the road with a frozen flat spot going donk donk donk donk :lol:

I spent a morning following daihatsu fourtrack around slab common. It was doing some real bum clenching stuff, thought the guy driving had balls of steel. Only during lunch did we discover it had the best part of 100kg of water in each tyre.

how about stabilisers like you had on your first ever push bike, if you can weld then make up some thing that bolts to the side/chassis and extends a wheel several feet (metres) past the wheel track and it should stop you tipping over, super bodge but cheap and easy

For "pallet sized loads" on a side-slope I'd just invest in a set of grippy tyres for your freelander, it'll be far more stable than a taller Land Rover and if it's got ETC/HDC it'll probably get you up/across the terrain with less drama than a lashed-up landy. The load is going to be at least a foot closer to the ground in a freebie. I don't know what the figures are but I'll bet a defender rolls before a freebie does.

At Thruxton I went round the LR off-road course there in one of their defenders and then again driving my freelander. Being engineered to give people an "experience" in the Defenders, the course has a few side-slopes which do feel quite "exciting" / close to the limit when sat in the defender but were utterly boring in the freebie.

how about stabilisers like you had on your first ever push bike, if you can weld then make up some thing that bolts to the side/chassis and extends a wheel several feet (metres) past the wheel track and it should stop you tipping over, super bodge but cheap and easy

This is close to what I'm going to suggest -

This will only work if you cross the slope in one direction - a counterbalance arm fitted on the uphill side. I suppose it could be made to be used set either one side or the other. A bit like the concept of sailing, the crew hangs out to balance the boat against the wind.

One of the slightly more 'leftfield' ideas I've had but am yet to implement is a sort of self righting mechanism for LR's. Make the B hoop of an external cage out of two inverted L shapes pivoted on the sill bar. A couple of hydraulic rams will allow you to right a rolled vehicle, even one on it's roof but could also be used as stabilisers / equivalent of wheelie bars!

Si

They did this with a Suzuki Samurai on the last episode of Top Gear US :hysterical:

Thanks for the suggestions, I have driven the hill in my subaru before but not the ultra steep sections, I am not sure an estate would be suitable for taking the materials up but a subaru pick up could work.

I had been thinking of a land rover product mainly because it would be more useful to me on other work.

My freelander is ok for getting tools etc up the hill. The hill decent scares the **** out of me!! It just seems to take off at such a speed!! Plus at the moment my freelander has broken down (see my other thread!)

I am fencing along the top of a nature reserve/AONB so bulldozing a track isnt an option unfortunately.

I ve got a few weeks to sort something so will keep on searching!!

low tech idea seen on the telly recently, borrow a shirehorse or two, logging rig and driver. If it's a nature reserve they'll love you to bits as they get they get the grass cut and you get the fencing to where it needs to be without chewing the ground up (just the grass).

low impact, no complex engineering or costs.

My missus will even come and do it for you then, right up her street (we met working 'heavies')

Or if its to far for Mrs Parrott to come with her 'heavies' i can put you in touch with a good few other ' heavies' in the West Sussex /Hampshire area who would be able to assist