MIG Welding alloy?

minivin

the key to ebay is patience, i got mine for 150 quid, probably cost 4 times that when new.

watching I think a Sealey 180 down Plymouth at the moment with collection only, finishes Sunday and have friends down there on holiday till Monday, so may have the transport sussed :)

watching I think a Sealey 180 down Plymouth at the moment with collection only, finishes Sunday and have friends down there on holiday till Monday, so may have the transport sussed :)

Hmmmmmmm

Not convinced as a sealey is a branded something or other ?

Cebora NBC Butters Murex and Snap on (a mate has one and very nice) ESAB are some of the most respected names, then the BIG 210amp 230 amp SIP are ok for heavy hobby use, but stay away from the Clarke and Machine Mart stuff.

Sealey ?...not at all sure ?

Nige

Hmmmmmmm

Not convinced as a sealey is a branded something or other ?

Cebora NBC Butters Murex and Snap on (a mate has one and very nice) ESAB are some of the most respected names, then the BIG 210amp 230 amp SIP are ok for heavy hobby use, but stay away from the Clarke and Machine Mart stuff.

Sealey ?...not at all sure ?

Nige

I think Sealey is rebranded but I have a 195 A Sealey mig for the last few years and I would recommend one. Never gone wrong, gives great welds and has had lots of use. (And I'm not selling it in case Al comments!)

Snap on are Cebora internals (at least the older sets are) Butters are the "new" name for NBC (Norman Butters Company)

if you can find an old NBC220 they are mega tough,

More whittering if it any use to you?

Something with a eurotorch connector is (IMO) essential although you can buy eurotorch conversion kits for about £30 ish,

A desireable feature is (if you are welding a lot) 15kg reel capacity although midi reels are better for less than flat out welders (higher turnover of reels means fresher wire)

Check the condition of rollers in the wire feed on old plants, also check they are the right size for the wire you want to run - if not, can you get spares??

Gas solenoid operation should be crisp and instantaneous, get the seller to run it up with gas behind it and listen to the business end of the torch, no post or pre trigger hissing should be evident (unless it has post flow or a two stage trigger)

4metre torch length is lovely, shorter means more plant pushing, clamp action earth clamp is better (instead of a springer), build a collection of tips and shrouds, check the earth hood is in good nick on the shroud and keep it and the tips religiously clean while you are at it. If you buy and old plant consider buying a new torch or at the very least a new liner - it will make a significant difference.

two stage regulators are the best way, single stage sucks, "new" type BOC bottles with keys are preferable although good practice means you should always turn the bottle off with the key when your works done and pull the trigger to depressurise the regulator. Always purge the gun before welding.

Random thought is plumb in a 32a single phase blue commando socket and dont the run a welder through a fuse, if you have to dial it up then fused plugs wont be happy, the RCD on your fusebox will keep you smiling if you do decide to fill the plant with coffee one day (dont ask how I know this :ph34r: )

dont waste money - if you want a welder buy a good one, spend in haste repent in leisure (god Im old)

I need more coffee <_<

Good stuff is out there. Try searching on eBlag without any category restrictions (ie all categories) and make sure you search for mis spellings.

I got my virtually brand new Butters 175A Single phase machine for £200 as it had been listed as a musical instrument!

Also, if you go and look at a machine that has little interest on eBlag, wave cash under their nose, and they will often sell it there and then, and kill off the auction.

I’ll put in another good vote for Cebora ………. I use the 160amp model together with argosheild lite from BOC ………. One of the plus points of BOC is that the local BOC place lets me have a ‘temporary loan’ argon bottle for the rare times I need one.

Note: some of the earlier Cebora 130 pocket migs used the 160 amp transformer ……… just alter the tapping and bingo ;)

Ian

do a night class.if you take to it,buy a second hand professional machine ( cebora,murex,etc 180 amps min)you will always sell it for near what you paid.but after trying to mig weld ali you will decide its a waste of time - it can be done,but it will never look like a good tig weld,you will be dissapointed.tig welding is not that tricky,but a decent ac tig machine (required for ali) is far too expensive for occasional home use.

home welding for most people is really restricted to steel,but don't let me put you off,welding is great fun.

Hmmmmm

Yeh, whilst a typo it seems sort of right, actually BOC are IMHO a right PITFA to deal with :lol:

Nige

Our local baloon place also does various other gasses such as Argoshield. I still get hit with ~£45 PA bottle rental - but it works for me.

Rob - don't save £100 on a welder and end up doing £200's worth of "damage" to your truck through poor welds.

OK I have no welding skill compared to most people on this thread but I have used Jez's NBC and a mate's hobby mig (and it's a fairly decent one), there's just no contest.

Have you looked in freeads - I know it's not as instant as eBlag but you do see stuff come up from workshop/factory clearances in there.

Note: some of the earlier Cebora 130 pocket migs used the 160 amp transformer ……… just alter the tapping and bingo ;)

Ian

I've got one of these, I only paid £40 for it still boxed and used only twice. So, how do you alter the tapping exactly?

I only use it for light stuff as i prefer my good old stick for heavier bits.

Ade

Fair enough then Minivin, but the flip side of that coin is, that if you discover you need to weld something and then go out and get one, you won't be able to use it!

Al. ;)

tell me about it, got to concentrate on a few other things next month (like getting my classic bike back as a rolling chassis so that it can go away to have a subframe built) and then I may take up the search again, give me something to do as the nights draw in and bordom needs relieving, or I could just get a girlfriend :lol:

a brand new industrial welder, with 3 phase laid on by the local electricity company will be waaaaaay cheaper than a girlfriend minivin :lol:

of course I'll refrain from going down the route of discussion the merits or otherwise of which models have a tendency to spit, and good penetration :lol: