Immobilising a 200tdi Defender - insurance thoughts

Just want a sanity check, but what are peoples views on putting an immobiliser on a 200tdi - I can see that it is fairly redundant as you need only put 12v into the shutdown solenoid on the injector pump to over ride it.

But will insurance companies give me a better deal? I am going to put an alarm on it anyway - just so it can scream at me when it gets wet. Also going to put Si from X-Eng mod on and put a mechanical valve on the fuel line hidden somewhere.

Just after the view point of those with more experience.

Thanks in advance

Not my area of expertise, but based on what I've seen on some of the insurance web sites, if your alarm is not Thatcham approved or installed by a regsitered (competent?) installer, then I suspect the insurance companies won't allow anything for it.

Cheers

Peter

You don't even need 12v, you can just unscrew the solenoid.

For an actual insurance discount they are more interested in immobilisers than alarms, must be thatcham approved & usually professionally fitted (which means a "professional" will scatter scotchloks throughout your loom so your car will become even less reliable but no less stealable).

Defenders are very popular targets, I think the only real defense is being sensible about what's on show, where you park it, etc. - if you add loads of security it just tells the scum it's more likely worth stealing, and most of these devices inconvenience you more than the theives. That and having good, agreed-value insurance with a company that understands mods etc.

thanks guys - yer i was afraid of scotch locks here there and everywhere. At least there will only be one on a 200tdi :P or do they do the main power feed to the ignition switch and glow plugs as well?

There is a professional local to me who could put an alarm in whilst i still haven't fitted all the trim and carpet/rubber matting etc. Thought an alarm would be a good deterrent. But yes it will be a thatcham with a fitting certificate.

They will scotch lock lots ....... power, courtesy light,imobilised circuit, indicators .......

See if you can find a fitter that will tell you how to fit it (so it meets thatcham 'standards'), let you fit it yourself, and then inspect your work before giving you a certificate, worth doing even if you have to pay him as much as if he fitted it.

i have more cable ties and p clips than you can shake a stick at already - as for unspecified wires - i threw the standard wiring loom colour codes out the window half way through so it's nice and cryptic - a professional fitter will need my wiring diagrams...

I think Si (x-eng)'s post in the tools section with regard to his new pedal protector thingy majig is quite correct in that security items are there to delay a thief, it it can't be nicked in 2 minuets then you've foiled the nicker - unless its somewhere they can work on it without interuption. I think an imobaliser is pointless imho, A bloody loud alarm on a timer circuit would do, all it does is scream like hell if you don't hit a re-set switch in a certain time period. that combined with a few other items such as steering wheel disc lock etc is the best deterant i think :)

I was thinking of an unusual soloution. Namely fitting a butterfly valve to the air intake system (similar to that in ventilation system) operated by a simple cable. Close it of and it'll never start. (no one will think to look for it either).

PieEater,

I too have contemplated the wisdom of the expensive immobiliser on a 200 TDi, and consulted the sensei that is lr4x4.com. And he said "Spend wisely my son, for is it not written: it'll do ya chuff-all good 'cos a pikeys can get round it in a jiffy."

Ahem.

Currently, I'm looking at one of these. Not really for the immobilising function so much as I get central locking functionality, and a dibber with a foldy-key. Which is pretty cool.

None of which deter or slow the pikey with a low-loader or hiab, stealing to order.

The evidence however suggests thefts using a hiab or low loader form a very small proportion - less than 4% apparently compared to 60% driven off your driveway or away from the roadside by an opportunist.

I just don't understand the attitude of "there's no point in doing anything because someone could come along with a hiab" or "there's no point having a tracker because they might have a jammer". It seems defeatist and a bit dumb. You might as well just hand them your keys and wallet.

On the other hand - the more people adopt that philosophy, the less likely mine it to be nicked!

Si

I have had my 200 tdi 110 for 20 years and when new I fitted a "secret" switch on the cable to the solenoid and use a substantial chain and padlock from the clutch pedal to the steering wheel.I have had to replace window glass twice but they have not been able to start it. i accept that it can be done but not quickly

I've had my 110 broken into and the ignition turned on but they gave up when they noticed the bright yellow pedal lock. No damage was done to the locks or ignition. Now I know of a few ways around a pedal lock but most of them take a while to do.

After the break in I added a big old motorbike chain to lock from steering wheel to pedal lock, this is more of a visual deterent to stop the myopic thiefs around here doing any more damage once they get in as they will notice the chain and then hopefully the pedal lock unlike last time!

I think one of the best things to use theses days is a tracker on top of the usual extra locks.

They are very cheap now much less than a ton and you dont need expensive contracts.

Ive fitted a cheepie to my wifes freelander and just use the text functions to keep an eye on it.

It cost about £50.00 and a £5 a month sim with a text bundle.

Got it through the usual internet site from the far east.

Look for the tk103 type.

You can even just hide an old smart phone in the vehicle with a power supply when you get your next phone upgrade.

There are apps you can use, you just need a cheap text bundle contract or pay as you go sim.

Or a contract with internet access for a bit more functionality.

The apps are the standard "find my lost phone" type.

Im writing an app at the moment for my own use purely using text for my old HTC handset.

and a corresponding app for my current smart phone to monitor it.

It will take me a while but should be fun.

Gordon