Towing Discovery using an A-frame

africanpete

Hi

Anyone towed a discovery using an A-frame? I have towed many cars with one but never a vehicle that has an axle and just wanted to know if it was possible. Cant see why it wouldnt work but just thought I would ask.

Cheers

Peter

Yes you can do it, however IIRC A-frames are illegal to use unless you are licensed for recovery.

Remember also to remove leave the transfer box in neutral / remove a propshaft

I'm sure someone on here can confirm though ;)

I guess you’ve googled for A-frame and come up with an awful lot of tosh talked on various forums about the legalities of A-frames. It is a bit of a legal grey area but here’s my take on it:

I’ve never heard of the ‘licensed recovery operator’ requirement.

If all four wheels are on the ground, then the towed vehicle must have a current Tax, MOT and (these days) insurance.

An A-frame is for ‘recovery to a place of safety’ – it shouldn’t be used for a planned trip, towing a (non road-legal) trialer to a comp etc, but perfectly legit to recover your disabled (but otherwise road legal) truck home.

A vehicle towed by an A-frame is NOT the same as a trailer, i.e. if over 750 kg you need to have brakes on it and B+E on your licence. You don’t. This doesn’t mean the towing vehicle doesn’t have to be up to scratch, it does. Do not entertain hauling 2-odd tonnes of discovery with anything less than an equivalent size 4x4 or van. That previous statement doesn’t apply to motorhomes pulling small cars behind them – those technically are trailers but again that’s much more of a legal grey area.

When all is said and done, IMHO an A-frame is by far the safest means of moving a dead vehicle*. It holds the road much better even than a well loaded trailer. Braking distances obviously are increased, and the A-frame I’ve used states the max speed is 56mph, and I wouldn’t feel comfortable going beyond that.

Always use a trailer board with a proper number plate, and preferably and amber flashing light on the tow vehicle (I picked a mine up on the bay of e for <£5). Make sure you can easily prove you own the towed vehicle, plod round here have (rightly in my view) been taking an interest in towed vehicles as pikeys appear to be using any old means to transport scrap cars to be weighed in. Looking like a proper operator will usually mean you get left alone.

*Compared to a tow-pole, ropes. Not as safe as a large yellow flatbed truck, but they have a 5-trip limit these days ;-)

Thanks Udderly, what I understood was purely passed on from what I had read on forums in the past. :blush:

I wasn't very clear earlier but I meant it was allowed to be used by the AA and proper breakdown companies etc but not for normal everyday domestic use i.e. to and from play days every weekend.

From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_192285

'Towing a car using an A-frame or dolly

If you attach an A-frame to a car in order to tow it with a larger vehicle, the car plus A-frame counts as a trailer.

If you use a dolly to tow a broken-down vehicle, the dolly counts as a trailer.

In both cases the usual safety regulations for trailers apply.'

my contractor neighbor tows his discovery behind his self propelled forage harvester with a sturdy home made A frame and permanent hefty hinges attached to his discovery front end so he has transport home whilst away.

"my contractor neighbor tows his discovery behind his self propelled forage harvester with a sturdy home made A frame and permanent hefty hinges attached to his discovery front end so he has transport home whilst away."

whole different ball game legally speaking as agricultural vehicle HTSH