hand brake not working :/ rear axle swap advice too please

Right after a few times the hand brakes has stuck on momentarily then freed off, now it doesn't seem to work at all now :(

This is the drum type on a 90 btw, I have heard people mentioning upgrading to a disc hand brake, is it worth upgrading to one of these?? an what parts will i need?

Also having issues with the rear hub seals on my back hubs have gone an have now soaked all the shoes etc etc, is it worth up grading to a disco rear axle?? before I shell out on new shoes fitting kit etc etc

Pro's and cons please peoples! (honest opinions too)

Sammy

parkbrake might just need the expander unit cleaning & lubricating.

have a search for my X-Brake fitting thread, you'll see what's involved.

if you have a disco rear axle ready to fit, that is a good improvement, if not just change the seals & shoes in the existing axle.

parkbrake might just need the expander unit cleaning & lubricating.

have a search for my X-Brake fitting thread, you'll see what's involved.

if you have a disco rear axle ready to fit, that is a good improvement, if not just change the seals & shoes in the existing axle.

As above. Generally servicing the handbrake is sufficient.

On the subject of swapping for rear discs, I did this and think that the braking efficiency is about the same as drums in normal driving. Where you really see the difference is the lack of fade on long hills or when towing.

However if off-roading a lot then discs offer less maintenance probably?

Cannot recomend the X-Brake enough. It is a superb bit of kit :D. I was forever adjusting the drum and still not working when wet/muddy.

On the subject of swapping for rear discs, I did this and think that the braking efficiency is about the same as drums in normal driving. Where you really see the difference is the lack of fade on long hills or when towing.

However if off-roading a lot then discs offer less maintenance probably?

On the road you don't need disks, but offroad they stay clean and usable :). and don't need cleaning after a session in the splendid.

anything i need to look out for in particular? or is just a case of it gets ****ty an clogged up?

Probably nothing too bad in there. I;d take the prop and drum off, pop the shoes off and take the expander and adjuster apart, clean and grease them. Remember to chock the vehicle as you wont have a handbrake. Note how the bits come apart so you know how to put it back together. The workshop manual has a good page or two on this with all the info you need.

You can download it here:

http://landroveroneten.com/index.php/general/land-rover-manuals/

I thouroughly recommend a disk braked rear axle. The brakes work so much better, in part because they are self adjusting but also because they are barely affected by mud and much less by water.

The drum handbrake can be fixed and adjusted fairly easily. It's at the very least worth cleaning and greasing the expanded mechanism as that's what normally sticks. If it shows signs of corrosion, replace it with a genuine Land Rover part from a main dealer. Most of the patterned ones will need attention again very quickly.

I have no technical explanation for this, but I found ordinary GP Grease worked better than Copperslip which many people use. It may be that the corrosion is electrolytic and the copper in the Copperslip provides a conduction path?

To extend the time between service & adjustment, you can drill two diametrically opposite holes in the circular face of the drum. Two so the drum stays balanced. You can then poke a hose into one of the holes after you've been in the mud to wash most of it out.

Even when the expanded is working, they do sometimes stick because the shoes rust to the drum. If you've been off roading and are going to leave the vehicle for a while without moving it, it might be worth chocking the wheels and leaving the handbrake released.

Si

have no technical explanation for this, but I found ordinary GP Grease worked better than Copperslip which many people use. It may be that the corrosion is electrolytic and the copper in the Copperslip provides a conduction path?

another alternative grease is the red brake grease from Castrol, purpose made for brake components & seals in & on calipers/wheel cylinders & doesn't affect brake fluid.

I did the disco rear upgrade before christmas and its probably one of the mods I wish I had done earlier. Brakeing effort is increased ten fold, I found it a lot more responsive and so much more confidance in her stopping now, its not a big job to do, good opertunity, to make the axle good then it is just a case of slipping it under, I did it my myself, crosshauling the old one out from under the truck and putting the new one in the same way - few pics in my re-build thread i think. would have been easier with 2 folk lifting it under but hey ho. other than swapping the 3 bolt flange from a disco set-up, there is no other big work to make the conversion. My truck s 86, with the balance G valve to suite, but it works fine - and how it should, I never get the rear end locking up or anything.

Mav

one other thought is if I use a disco 200 rear axle, dont they have 24 slpine hubs? as atm my 90 is on 10 spline one's atm...will this make a difference?? also is the diff ratio the same? or is it a case of swapping front and rear axle to keep a matching pair??

sammy

Nothing wrong with using a combination of 10spline on the front and 24 spline on the rear. Some say that 24 is stronger but its neglible. Jsut easier to get uprated parts for 24 spline stuff.

Diffs are the same ratio defender - disco :). Front and rears dont need to be a matched pair, my front is the original 1984 90 one and the rear is a disco or rangie, I can't remember.

Mav, what year is your front axle? Depending on the year you are better off rebuilding rather than swapping :)

Ross, It will be the original 86, what do you mean re-building? - the axle was re-built 1yr ago, i was just thinking it would be nice to have the same diff front and back...I had a notion to keep the original case, and just swap the diff and swivel assemblies...? OR did also wonder if I could just pop the half shafts in and diff and keep the old model CV's and swivels etc as they where new gineuine one only 10k miles ago...

As you say, you want to keep the old AEU2522 CVs, I wouldn't worry about swapping the front diff to a 24 spline one unless you are going to a 4-pin or locker. Keeping the only CVs and having a 24 spline diff will mean aftermarket halfshafts.

Not sure when they stopped using them, but if yours has the AEU2522 CVs then it will also have the wide hubs? so wheel bearings slightly further apart :).

As you say, you want to keep the old AEU2522 CVs, I wouldn't worry about swapping the front diff to a 24 spline one unless you are going to a 4-pin or locker. Keeping the only CVs and having a 24 spline diff will mean aftermarket halfshafts.

Not sure when they stopped using them, but if yours has the AEU2522 CVs then it will also have the wide hubs? so wheel bearings slightly further apart :).

hmmm I will heed your advice as I recall you've looked into this in rather a lot of detail! from memory the hubs are the wider ones. are the half shafts the same length do you know?

Well if you count looking into it as rebuilding mine twice (water ingress, then second hand diff wearing out), yes :P. Got a P38 4-pin in there now with a pair of KAM aerospace shafts.

not sure on the shaft length sorry... but I think the only length difference (for the wider hubs/bearings) is that the stub axle and CV are longer.

Well if you count looking into it as rebuilding mine twice (water ingress, then second hand diff wearing out), yes :P. Got a P38 4-pin in there now with a pair of KAM aerospace shafts.

not sure on the shaft length sorry... but I think the only length difference (for the wider hubs/bearings) is that the stub axle and CV are longer.

Hehe, i'll have to have a look, now I appear to have an abundance of half shafts etc. thanks for the advice :i-m_so_happy: