Solidworks

stuck

Gent's,

This may well be a very dumb question but where the hell can I buy a copy of Solidworks from?

I've tried Google but I just get led on a merry dance that seems to lead nowhere :angry2:

Cheers,

Mick.

i have a copy although apparently my "trial period" has run out and it wants me to pay.

and i dont know where my computer stores said information else i might be able to de "lemonize" its uses

you have to buy through an approved partner. I use NTCADCAM, Solid Solutions are another big one. You can't just buy it from PC world sadly.

I have one seat of premium (can be installed on 2 pcs), a floating seat of PDM and a fixed seat of PDM which back in 2006 cost something like £6,500, the support & renewals are around £1500pa. Ontop of that I got enough training to get advanced certified in the main areas + pdm + simulation + analysis etc

They used to do an education version and a free cut down version to get people into using their software but i'm not sure if they still do it, I'm sure many people get it in various naughty ways :)

I have a licenced copy of 2012 Standard Edition (installed on 2 PC's which is allowed within the licence). It cost about £4k inc vat - but you have to haggle with them to get the price down.

Although it seems a lot, I figured I spend more time Driving Solidworks than my Land Rover! Thus, it doesn't seem so bad.

I absolutely love it! You can do some incredibly cool things, really quickly & easily with it.

post-74-0-86697800-1337264126_thumb.jpg Folded metal for example!

There is also a free CAM Package called HSMXpress. It's only 2.5D - but does 80% of what I need. It integrates with Solidworks 2009 and above very neatly and generates (mostly) sensible cut strategies for parts.

Expensive - but exceptional value!

Si

It never gets the stretch and deformation right on our tube benders though :/

Keep meaning to ask if theres a cleaver way to get it to predict it but never got around to it. Just over 3mm a side, thats close enough for me :D

If you've got access to a .ac.uk account then you can get a permanent (or at least 3 year license) from Autodesk for Inventor Professional (see students.autodesk.com I think).

Not used Solidworks extensively but find Inventor a damn impressive package.

Just looked up the solidworks student, around £100 but the license only lasts a year :(

if you have a .ac.uk account you used to be able to get office ultimate for £40 :D And it doesn't watermark your documents like autocad student used to.

I like being a mature student... apart from the work. Oh wait, that makes me the same as young students :D

It never gets the stretch and deformation right on our tube benders though :/

Keep meaning to ask if theres a cleaver way to get it to predict it but never got around to it. Just over 3mm a side, thats close enough for me :D

The clever solution is to use BendTech.

Unlike a press brake, there are just too many variables in a tube bender. BendTech calibrates to your bender - so tends to be spot on. It can then export to Solidworks which you can use for stress analysis if required.

Si