LT230 leaking everywhere

For reference it's an early LT230, an R I think.

Rebuild was completed in Feb this year.

Initially I noticed a leak from the front output flange, fairly soon after. Presumed this was just bad luck, so changed it.

Soon after that, the PTO cover started to leak.

Then the rear output flange

Just had a look under today, and the front is leaking again too, as well as a load more joints etc.

First thought was breather, so disconnected that, looked ok, blew through it, no issues there.

Stumped now. Seems very odd that everything decides to leak at once (and twice in the case of the front flange)?

Did you replace the flange or just the seal?

The only way I could get the front flange to stop leaking on mine was to replace the whole thing, the wear on the old flange surface (on which the seal runs) was too great. PTO cover, replace the gaskets and all should be well. A smear of RTV may help too. Do NOT just replace them with RTV alone, since earlier LT230s have the pre-load on the input gear bearings set with the gaskets in place. Removing them will result in over-loaded bearings and an eventual expensive bang :)

With regard to why it's all started leaking at once, it's probably just a coincidence. Only thing I can think of in addition to breather blockage as you say would be overheating of the box.

Its a landrover, its suppose to leak oil....

When the oil leaks stop it's time to worry! :i-m_so_happy:

....the flange will wear a groove in it over time (if its a LT230R R=radial bearings...) I would not be surprised (v old transfer case....)

One trick is to try to reseat the seal forward / back if possible .... doesn't always work, sometimes is a quick fix to get you out of a hole (works on front engine crankshaft oil seals sometimes

Flange at the front was replaced yes, as the one that came out was a bit of a mess.

Had stopped leaking for a few months, looks like it's back again.

And I'm determined to stop it leaking, eventually! The front half of the vehicle is great (ie dry).

What would cause the box to be overheating on a daily commute? No towing heavy loads up steep hills here.

Overheat.... oil (lack of).... or the difflock on..... that won't help!

It's possible that because the box is overheating, that the rubber seal has become soft and not doing what it is suppose to....

It may also be possible that the flange is made of poor steel and has worn a groove already

It is also possible that the seal was damaged when installed.

Sorry no hard and fast answers, just a number of possibilities

When you say blew through breather, did you diconnect the banjo fitting on top of the transfer casting and blow though from the other end - usually in the engine bay? Or, did you pull the pipe off at the transfer end and blow from there? In which case the banjo or the banjo bolt could be blocked.

Good plan. I had taken banjo out and blown from the banjo washer bit, whatever it's called.

Going to start with the pto covert at some point today. Is there anything I need to know about (eg bits flying out) or is it just undo bolts, change gasket, do bolts back up?

Going to start with the pto covert at some point today. Is there anything I need to know about (eg bits flying out) or is it just undo bolts, change gasket, do bolts back up?

Pretty much yeah :)

Speedo cable will be retained in a clip on one of the bolts (which is actually a stud/nut on mine), but I don't think there's anything more to it than that. Keep everything scrupulously clean and remember that the carrier and cover plate only fit on one way.

For clarification, there are two parts to the cover. The actual cover plate which you can see, and then under that there is the bearing carrier itself. This means that there are two gaskets, one between carrier and box and another between cover plate and carrier. On some early models there are two screws securing the carrier in addition to the six bolts that go through both cover plate and carrier.

It should be fairly self-explanatory though.