seams between steel and aluminium

Rebuilding 1991 110 tdi hardtop and just ready to rebuild the seatbox after treating the rust. Problem is what mastic to use in the seams between the steel and aluminium as I rivet them back together.I am thinking of a silicon sealant eg bathroom as I think this will help reduce contact and subsequent electrolysis. Any tips ?

• Like 1

Beware of using Tiger seal/Sikaflex if you think you may ever have cause to take it apart again! Once set it is a seriously strong adhesive. You will have to cut it apart with a very sharp blade which might not be possible in some of the corners. Better to go for a sticky backed foam strip on one surface like the original. On mine I used a double side butyl body tape I happened to have but left the backing on one surface to give me a fighting chance of getting the panels apart if necessary.

When I was at Newbury last time, the chap from YRM metal solutions told me to use simple insulating tape between the two. No I didn't like the sound of it either but I figured he would know. Hence I merely pass this nugget on.

In aerospace they use this stuff between two dissimilar metals. Again, I've not used so merely pass it on.

good point, thats the good thing with marine sealant, it dosent stick like tiger seal but whilst creating a barrier also stops water getting in

iv been using marine sealant, seems to be doing the job, once it sets it leaves a rubber mask between the 2 surfaces

Do you have a link to the stuff you've been using Ian?