Carling switches.

mmgemini

The only problem with buying them from Mudstuff, is that they supply the upside-down (american) type i.e. up is on. Which i thought i could live with, but realise that i find intensely annoying.

Mike,

Carlings have gained some traction, as the two main after-market consoles (Mud Console & Raptor Dash) support them out of the box.

Also, unlike a lot of aftermarket switches, these 'look' right, i.e. they don't look like they've come out of a blister-pack on a display stand in your local branch of halfrauds. They certainly suit the Defender.

And yes, they seem to be fairly robust & easy to operate, which suits us sausage-fingered Landie people.

I prefer "proper" lever switches....For me much better to use than a rocker. Easier to install neatly as well.

Apart from the dip/ indicator swich I can't remember having a switch let go.

Stylish not for me functual is what I want.

As an aside.

I remember many years ago going into the Porsch showroom at Darlington to look at the Kylami class winning Porsch 911 or 912. Theyd fitted a pair of spots for the night bit. There mounted on the roll cage was a Lucas switch, held in place my cable ties.

I'm not a fan of the look of Carling switches, and prefer to use lever switches instead where I can.

But I know that the Carling ones are very well built, and stand up well to the environments many people maintain within Defenders (ie. dust, dirt, water etc. etc.).

I prefer "proper" lever switches....For me much better to use than a rocker. Easier to install neatly as well.

Apart from the dip/ indicator swich I can't remember having a switch let go.

Stylish not for me functual is what I want.

As an aside.

I remember many years ago going into the Porsch showroom at Darlington to look at the Kylami class winning Porsch 911 or 912. Theyd fitted a pair of spots for the night bit. There mounted on the roll cage was a Lucas switch, held in place my cable ties.

So why ask?

Switches seem to be an emotive subject- the OEMs spend huge amounts of time & effort getting the look, feel and lighting right on their mainstream cars with countless discussion/arguments.

Personally I like the rocker type switches and prefer them over toggles in vehicle use, but whether it is Carling or someone elses is just a personal preference.

Key technical advantages of rockers over toggles are:

Legends- on the switch, potentially easier to read than under a toggle.

Illumination- Toggles can only have simple illumination, rockers can have a wide variety that enables easy identification and status; Single or double legends, off when switched off and on when on or dim when off and bright when on, dimmable with panel dimmer, two colours in two legends etc etc.

Variation- there are a huge range of circuitry options & numbers of poles available beyond the simple SPST, SPDT, DPST,DPDT & Centre biased options with toggles. This can simplify wiring significantly.

Connecterisation- Multiway connector housings available which make wiring up simpler.

Colour- Available in many colours which can help with identification in large banks of switches (or help with styling), and particularly identifying such switches as hazard warning which legally have to be identified in red.

Other options- Multiway housings available for neat installation, and in some cases other switch functions like headlight levelling can be had in the same package.

When at Pinzgauer and trying to sort out switching for our new vehicle I had samples of all the sealed automotive rockers available at the time mounted (stuck) through a paper box lid and had staff voting on them. Stylistically there was no clear winner, so the decision came down to other factors.

I think key to why the Carlings have won out in our field is they are technically capable, but key is availability over the other options in singles.

The other available parts to the best of my knowledge are;

Otto Controls: My personal favourite- well sealed, good LED illumination options, meet military specs, nice rubber covered switches

SWF Valeo 511/521 series sold through Britax: Favoured by coaches, reasonable priced, dedicated connectors, wide range of switch options and easily changeable legends with wide range.

SWF Valeo 533 also sold through Britax: nicer modern design with advantages of 511

Eaton Sealed Vehicle Rocker: Interchangeable legends, limited range available easily

Hella: Similar to SWF 511 but range of legends not so available.

Polish Switch- don’t know manufacturers name: Clone of Valeo 511 but of poor quality

Carling- You know about

Switches seem to be an emotive subject- the OEMs spend huge amounts of time & effort getting the look, feel and lighting right on their mainstream cars with countless discussion/arguments.

Personally I like the rocker type switches and prefer them over toggles in vehicle use, but whether it is Carling or someone elses is just a personal preference.

Key technical advantages of rockers over toggles are:

Legends- on the switch, potentially easier to read than under a toggle.

Illumination- Toggles can only have simple illumination, rockers can have a wide variety that enables easy identification and status; Single or double legends, off when switched off and on when on or dim when off and bright when on, dimmable with panel dimmer, two colours in two legends etc etc.

Variation- there are a huge range of circuitry options & numbers of poles available beyond the simple SPST, SPDT, DPST,DPDT & Centre biased options with toggles. This can simplify wiring significantly.

Connecterisation- Multiway connector housings available which make wiring up simpler.

Colour- Available in many colours which can help with identification in large banks of switches (or help with styling), and particularly identifying such switches as hazard warning which legally have to be identified in red.

Other options- Multiway housings available for neat installation, and in some cases other switch functions like headlight levelling can be had in the same package.

When at Pinzgauer and trying to sort out switching for our new vehicle I had samples of all the sealed automotive rockers available at the time mounted (stuck) through a paper box lid and had staff voting on them. Stylistically there was no clear winner, so the decision came down to other factors.

I think key to why the Carlings have won out in our field is they are technically capable, but key is availability over the other options in singles.

The other available parts to the best of my knowledge are;

Otto Controls: My personal favourite- well sealed, good LED illumination options, meet military specs, nice rubber covered switches

SWF Valeo 511/521 series sold through Britax: Favoured by coaches, reasonable priced, dedicated connectors, wide range of switch options and easily changeable legends with wide range.

SWF Valeo 533 also sold through Britax: nicer modern design with advantages of 511

Eaton Sealed Vehicle Rocker: Interchangeable legends, limited range available easily

Hella: Similar to SWF 511 but range of legends not so available.

Polish Switch- don’t know manufacturers name: Clone of Valeo 511 but of poor quality

Carling- You know about

What he said

Superpants

A nice reply. I see no mention of Lucas switches. I have some here which must be over 40 years old. Still, if I wanted to use then, in good working condition.

As for warning lights or information on switches, I remember an article in CCC by Barry Lee, Remember 351 ? Saying that a driver should know what switch is whjat and what switch you have switched on without a warning light. Now the thing about that article was a stock car driver preparing a road rally car !!!!!!

I didn't mention the Lucas switches as last time I looked the supply of them wasn't very reliable- that may have changed now. Information wasn't also forthcoming on the available options.

It is good for a driver to 'instinctively' know where relevant switches are, and especially important in racing (one of the reasons F1 drivers have their own steering wheels customised to put switches in the right places for them (often Otto switches)). However there are good reasons to ensure legends/ tell tales are fitted;

For our uses:

Legislation- some of this is required to meet current legislation- particularly important for those trying to build a vehicle to meet IVA.

Commonality- If you meet the common standards, anyone driving the car (MOT tester/ co-driver or girlfriend etc) can correctly identify the switches. This would be especially important for those who have esoteric (to the general public) items fitted to the car, particularly where inadvertent operation could be damaging.

For manufacturers:

There are other reasons an OEM would want to use accepted symbols & legends including;

Branding

Operation without language barriers

No need for special training of drivers

Common styling between vehicles