OT sorry but need opinions on selling an Ifor williams trailer

Hi, sorry this is a bit OT.

I have a flatbed Ifor Williams for sale on ebay and have been contacted by someone wanting the serial number so that he can 'do some checks' and I'm not sure if I should pass this info on. But it might look like I've got something to hide if I don't. Trailer is genuine and there is nothing to hide.

Is there any danger in giving out the serial number?

What would you do?

Cheers

Chris

Im sure you can register the serial number with your name/address/etc, so if it gets nicked you have proof that i was yours,

worst case you dont have it registered and they register with the serial number, turn up and claim its theirs and you have no proof its yours,

like i say though "WORST CASE"

Im sure you can register the serial number with your name/address/etc, so if it gets nicked you have proof that i was yours,

worst case you dont have it registered and they register with the serial number, turn up and claim its theirs and you have no proof its yours,

like i say though "WORST CASE"

Yep I take your point.just a thought as to why they may have asked.

TBH if I were a buyer I'd ask for the serial number too. Does the chap have good feedback, if so ask him for his phone number and give him a call, you can tell a lot from actually speaking to someone.

True..most crooks I encounter (the art worlds full of em) don't relish giving out their phone number or address for that matter.

perhaps he's not a buyer but had he's nicked and making sure it's not his ??? ;) ;) :rolleyes::)

I agree with this as i've done it before / do it.

I had my first BJ stolen and not recovered, this is the serial number i look out for.

I then had my second BJ recovered but managed to get it back by chance.

G

Ifor have a list of all stolen trailer serial numbers that you can check against, and there is a national data base as well.

As said above check that you feel he is genuine first , then if you feel ok about him give him the serial number

Wow, thanks for all the reply's. I'm guessing that he just wants to check that it isn't stollen, I've had it for a few years now so if he was looking for 'his stollen one' he's been looking for a good while now. I bought it from a small local trailer dealer and I suppose I should have done the same check but it didn't occure to me.

Ifor williams do have a database of stollen trailers but as the auction end tomorrow then he's not going to be able to check with them before the auction ends.

Worst case mentioned above though is what I'm afraid of, I've never registered it as mine, until the last hour I wasn't aware that you could/should so if he was then to register it as his own etc etc

I have several trailers flatbeds stock trailers etc, all bought second hand but I have purchase reciepts for all of them, Monday I recon a phone call to Ifor Williams and get them registered.

Thanks for the feedback

Chris

When I bought my Ifor I'm sure it came with a thing to register it with a "national plant database" or something (it might have been called "the equipment register?") - not applicable here anyway so I never did it but I guess they encourage traceability so when the pikeys have a shiny new trailer and say it's theirs, then the fuzz can apprehend it.

When I bought my Ifor I'm sure it came with a thing to register it with a "national plant database" or something (it might have been called "the equipment register?") - not applicable here anyway so I never did it but I guess they encourage traceability so when the pikeys have a shiny new trailer and say it's theirs, then the fuzz can apprehend it.

when i bought mine i registered it with IW and did a cheak/registered it with http://www.ter-europe.org/ the register named above , if you do a cheak thru them , they issue a ''due diligance'' certificate and if later reported stollen , your in the clear and they will pay you out , they send there people all over the country to auctions/ plant sales etc cheaking seriel numbers/ vins of plant and cross referancing it againset there register for stolen equiptment .

if they where able to reproduce vin plates /laser cut numbers in to a frames wouldnt need to ask for the details , plus they will not tell you but apparently there are about another 7 places on IW trilers with its id stamped in to it ?