Recent lesson re Fixed GATSO Cameras & their ability to detect veh

Fatboy

Morning Gents,

I thought I'd share a recent experience whilst towing an empty trailer. I drove from Abz to Wales to pick up "a project for the future" (why oh why did I buy this??). Trailer was a tri-axle Brian James, Tug was my L322...

Ambulance.jpg

One week later, I received a "Notification of Intended Prosecution" because I'd been photographed by a GATSO doing 71mph on a dual carriage way. Fair cop, I don't really fancy debating the speed especially as I got another letter the following day for 72mph, 30 mins further down the road so I've certainly learnt a valuable lesson.

I called the number on the letters to discuss the evidence and was advised that the GATSO's in Tayside have lasers which measure the length of the vehicle and apply the appropriate speed limit...

So, be aware.....

?The 101 is going to become a camper... SWMBO wanted a caravan, I didn't. The 101 was the compromise.

I'm currently building a 110 having just completed a 90. I'm waiting for the V8 block to return avec les top hats ☺ then I'm going to take a leap into the land of Megasquirt, or Megaquiet as mine will probably be.. I've spent the last week reading the threads in the Tech Area, should be fun.

Traditional "radar" GATSOs have a "go big" function on the detector so they can for instance detect HGVs doing more than 40mph on single carriageway where for cars the limit would be 60mph...

Traditional "radar" GATSOs have a "go big" function on the detector so they can for instance detect HGVs doing more than 40mph on single carriageway where for cars the limit would be 60mph...

Fight 'go big' with one of these, and turn it into 'go all over the place in little pieces' :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-88_HARM

Of course, if you were doing over 60mph for the entire distance between Gatso1 and Gatso2 then you would be being prosecuted for the same offence twice... Pepipoo might be able to offer some advice on this as even if you are happy to admit speeding, getting a ticket twice for the same event seems unfair.

Chris

What surprises me from that info page is that they have never updated the stopping distance guide. Those figures are based on a 1960's car with drum brakes and no ABS etc (Ref Top Gear episode). Thats the same figures that i learned in my highway code 25 years ago. Clearly its better to be on the side of caution, but its largely incorrect for modern vehicles. I would prefer to see up to date, correct information (maybe with an added safety margin) from our government, than figures that are meaningless.

Although as writing this i realise that for the purposes of this forum, our vehicles do have 1960's braking distances ;)

p.s. Donald, i guess thats what the Eberspacher was for? Good luck with it, and if you need any help with the MS let me know.

p.p.s "government, meaningless, figures" yeah i'll retract that too.