Rock slider MOT question

matt bristol

Having planned a head for once in my life I learned from the MOT man that there was a recent change in MOT law/standards and the rock sliders I have which bolt onto the chassis via where the hockey stick things mount is now an MOT failure.

As one side has a healthy dose of rust in the sills, I was wondering if anyone could see a problem with just cutting off the old mounts and welding the box section in where the sills used to be?

I realise the tubular sticky out bits would be slightly further in but I haven't got anywhere near off road other than a camping field recently coupled with it being an L reg 300TDi I'm not overly concerned about a few scratches or aesthetic anomolies

DD ought to know....think you'll find he's a tester!

I'd heard nothing about this change in regs, I try and keep up to date with them, and besides, something as major as that I would have expected to see announcement on here!

This is the actual inspection manual:http://www.motinfo.g...tdocs/index.htmSometimes that previous site can be out of date...

Probably an over-zealous interpretation of 2.4.2.3:

Deliberate modification which significantly reduces the original strength, excessive corrosion, severe distortion, a fracture or an inadequate repair of a load bearing member or its supporting structure or supporting panelling within 30cm of any sub-frame, spring or a suspension component mounting, that is, within a 'prescribed area',

This is the actual inspection manual:http://www.motinfo.g...tdocs/index.htmSometimes that previous site can be out of date...

Probably an over-zealous interpretation of 2.4.2.3:

Deliberate modification which significantly reduces the original strength, excessive corrosion, severe distortion, a fracture or an inadequate repair of a load bearing member or its supporting structure or supporting panelling within 30cm of any sub-frame, spring or a suspension component mounting, that is, within a 'prescribed area',

Section 2 is suspension, I think you need section 6 (vehicle structure)

But it's not a 'modification' and it doesn't reduce strength - it's an addition I would say. If it was a failure point then the same criteria would apply to (say) drilling holes in vehicle structure to fit a towbar mount.

Julian.

Whoops, sorry, yes, I did a search, was the first hit in the PDF, 6.1.A would be it. Drilling a hole would be a modification, albeit a very slight one....

You don't normally drill holes for a tow bar, they fit to holes/inserts fitted during manufacture, and are likely to be away from any steering or braking gear...

As above though, I would think if you queried it with the VOSA they would say it is fine...

Oh, I asked someone at a 4x4 place in Swindon and they said the MOT rules had changed

Unless they have a sharp edge caused by damage or corrosion, or are insecure. they are not a failure.

The link to the inspection manual you have posted is exactly what is shown on the vts device [mot computer]

If you go to the contents page of that manual you will see that several sections have a line at the side of them this line denotes them as being recent additions to the manual [these are all the latest additions that have been discussed recently] all of these latest additions have not yet been added to rfr selection page that the tester selects from when entering the results of an mot.

So in practice, even though section 1.9 says that electrical wiring that is insecure is a failure. on the screen that i enter your mot test results on this failure has not yet been added so i cannot fail it. i can only enter it as an advisory.

The link to the inspection manual you have posted is exactly what is shown on the vts device [mot computer]

Yep, I was one of the Siemens/VOSA trainers from the second-stage of MOT Computerisation roll out ;)