How does this adapter work (Hi-Lift "winch")

M&S

you can winch with a hi lift without that. however DONT even bother unless youre stuck, alone, with no other means of recovery. its very tedious and tiring! about 2 ft of winching then you have to readjust the straps.

i had to hand winch my series 3 50 yards, through some ruts once when everyone else was stuck too, i was sweating like a pig at the end, and it was early january with snow on the ground. Brian being only roughly 1.3 tons, i wouldnt reccomend it as hes probably the lightest lr and im used to manual labour aswell as its my job!

I'd guess it goes on the lifting foot creating a hook for a chain. You attach a rope/chain to top of hi-lift and then hook a chain attached to whatever your pulling over the hooky bit you just put on the moving foot...... I guess it's quicker to adjust than if you used a shackle.

You also need two lengths of chain with hooks, plus tree strop, length of chain and recovery rope. Oh and a couple of shackles!

Basically you remove the foot of the jack and attach the adapter. Attach recovery rope to stuck vehicle, attach chain via tree strop to to tree and then to bottom of jack. The top end of the jack then connects to the rope/strap attached to the vehicle. The two lengths of chain with hooks are used to take the strain alternately whilst you winch.

It can get you out of trouble, but is a total PITA. The genuine Hi Lift is better quality and at least comes with the two lengths of chain with hooks, a quick release pin and instructions!

An alternative is to wait for another 4x4 to arrive or even walk a few miles to a road to try and flag one down - a lot less effort than trying to winch on a jack!!

An alternative is to wait for another 4x4 to arrive or even walk a few miles to a road to try and flag one down - a lot less effort than trying to winch on a jack!!

That might be safe in the UK certainly not where I travel. They still haven't found the man that tried that in Botswana. Not even any bits if him.

Well if you want to advise people to do STUPID things feel free.

ALWAYS stay with the vehicle

(Sigh) However if you are in the UK....

If you are travelling in far off places you would be far better off having a proper bumper mounted winch powered by electricity or hydraulic etc!!!!

I have winched with a high lift when stuck down a green lane at silly o'clock, and can confirm that it is bluddy hard work :rolleyes:

However when options are limited it's a useful tool to have. No need for that adapter thingy Martin linked to, just stick a shackle through the rack and another on the toe of the jack.

I saw someone high lift winching with a rope once. It was hard work watching them :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Isn't ignorance great...

You could in theory manage it with a normal rope using two prusik loops, that way you wouldn't have to release the tension (well not much of it) on the rope when you re-rigged the hi-lift. Although it would still be a pain but might get you out of a tight spot ;)

I also tried it once - i repeat ONCE. The next week I bought my first Electric Winch.

It was effective - but very slow and very very tiring! I pulled my 110 about 30 feet out of a muddy hole. If it happened again and I had no other options - I think I would just leave it there instead!

Si

Cheers guys.I've tried the winching (as a test) with the hi-lift and it is better than nothing, but there would have to be NO other option!

Couldn't see the point or use of this bit of kit though. As said, seems it hooks into a chain. Not a great description for it!

My favourite - after a tow) is still hi-lifty and waffle boards at the moment (in the UK).

Cheers, Martin

• 3 weeks later...