ffs, wish i could do wiring! :(

Landy-Novice

i wish i could do car wiring :angry2:

tried to reconnect the wires from rear harness to the lights etc from my notes and F'ed up. :( what hasn't help is that is been rewired a monkey. and its so complicated. and something i complete don't understand. most of the skills needed for this land rover i dont have. :angry:

so now i have to spend the money i don't have and not earning to have it rewired up. :(

'kin great.

can anyone recommend someone cheap and local who will be up for the job?

post-30771-0-06425500-1347130910_thumb.jpg

post-30771-0-26215200-1347130925_thumb.jpg

Start with 1 colour code first and then work your way through....

Start with all the plain black wires as these are earths and if they are not clean and making a good contact with the body it will cause issues with all the rest of the lighting circuit.

Then move on to another colour

For example green/purple brake lights....

It has a main feed to the drivers rear.

This is then split into 2 possibly 3 if you are wiring towing electrics too....

One to the drivers rear lamp.

Then one goes back through the grommet under the rear tub and into the passenger side.

If you are fitting towing electrics the other will pass back through the floor to the tow hitch.

Follow this same procedure for the rest of the colours and you should be ok

All you need to do is connect all the black wires to one point to the bodywork, thats the earth. The others is a simple follow the coded coloured wires to the appropiate light.

Wish i could help, but i am rather far away

It really isnt that bad you know, you just need a bit of patience. As said above, start with the blacks, and then tackle one at a time. You've got no more than 7 feeds to the rear lights down the chassis - I know, the Series 2 was wired with 7-core and had 2 spares.

right, thanks guys, your help to restore my faith..

looking at my Hayes wiring diagram. :blink: the key says:

stop light is green and purple

reverse is green and brown to white..?

number plate light is read and black

indicators is green and red, and green and white.?

and fog lights are red and yellow

thats only 5.. theirs something missing.

trailer:

1 green + red is lh indicator

4 green + white is rh indicator.

2 red + yellow is fog light

6 green + purple is stop lights

7 }no idea..

5 } no idea

i assume the numbers refer to the socket pins? and does the rest look right?

written out makes it look so easy. lets wait till we put the theory to practice.

thats just taken half an hour to work that out... :(

Edited by Landy-Novice

red/yellow = rear fog light

red/black = rear tail light LH & number plate light

red/orange = rear tail light RH

green/purple = brake lights both sides

green/brown = reverse light

green/red = rear LH indicator

green/white = rear RH indicator

plain black = earth

one of the tow socket pins will be earth [black on vehicle wiring]

depending on the type of tow socket -- some have a cut-out for the tow vehicles rear fog light, the plug [on trailer] just use the 7 plain colours of 7 core trailer wiring, of which plain white is the earth.

the trailer plug uses these colours just match the vehicles tow socket to the pin as shown in list/diagram,

http://www.towingandtrailers.co.uk/shop/132/133/142/

red/yellow = rear fog light

red/black = rear tail light LH & number plate light

red/orange = rear tail light RH

green/purple = brake lights both sides x2

green/brown = reverse light x2 (joint together)

green/red = rear LH indicator x3 (2 joint together)

green/white = rear RH indicator

plain black = earth none in the loom. which i assume is correct due the the switches being earth(ed)?

knew that would be to easy! i have 17 wires in my loom.. as stated above..

and some other ones. :blink:

plain green

plain purple

plain brown

white and black.

and a push connector with G, G+N(reverse) and R+G (LH indicator) :blink: :blink:

Edited by Landy-Novice

The rear wiper Is fed via that loom, it has three or four wires. Also the heated rear window.

If you look at one of the lights, you will see the style of wire for the earths. Ad mentioned previously, they should all be connected together and to the body. Make sure the connection is cleaned back to bare metal, then protected with petroleum jelly as assembled.

Once you have all of the earths done, you can then wire up the positives. I would suggest having a simple test light to confirm power is being supplied to the correct wires before finalising connections. My first test light was two wires soldered to a bulb (very easy to use!).

Have fun, it's actually easier once you get to grips with it all and very rewarding... (most of the time)

Donald

knew that would be to easy! i have 17 wires in my loom.. as stated above..

and some other ones. :blink:

plain green

plain purple

plain brown

white and black.

and a push connector with G, G+N(reverse) and R+G (LH indicator) :blink: :blink:

no need to join any together, the LH rear fog & RH reverse wiring is there for export LHD vehicles But you can fit additional reverse & rear fog lights to give you matched pairs as I have on my 110.

plain green is normally a ignition controlled feed

plain brown &plain purple are 12v permanently live feeds

white/black trace is the heated rear screen feed from it's 10amp fuse

can you post a photo of the

and a push connector with G, G+N(reverse) and R+G (LH indicator)

i cant post a picture because mum has gone out and i dont have a phone but it matches the door motor. why do i need the purple and green? :blink:

and im going to have to replace the lights. closer inspection shows cracked leases, leaking, perish rubbers rusty internals and some of the wires cut so short! i cant do anything with them :wacko: but i always wanted LED lights... time for for more research..

oh and i can get rid on the black+white cable because i dont have a heated screen

Purple is permanently live (except in my 110 but one day I'll fix that :P ), I imagine western switches the work light by either switching the earth or using a relay.

that would mean a switch at the back of the truck or a wire running back to switch if its in the dash of similar area? depending on switch location, i was thinking on work lights connect through the reverse light, but that would require leaving in in reverse..

does that mean its permanently on? :blink: how do you switch it on and off?

my worklight is switched from the cab, I have a bank of rocker switches for front/rear worklights, amber beaconbar & rear reds above the rear view mirror, IIRC the plain green is a ign controlled feed.but the purple is live regardless of ign switch position.

that would require leaving in in reverse..

Not totally true, you can fit a switch from a fused line and T it into the line from reverse switch to rear lights - gives you 12v up both sides of the reverse light switch but that won't do it any harm. This way means you can leave it running out of gear too.