The brake warning light...

Hi All,

The little red dash brake warning light has been flickering since I had fun with the EGR valve.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=78945

The brakes feel okay. My question is, what actually makes the sensor light, light.

I have read that the vacuum tube from the EGR valve can cause brake problems if not properly sealed off, would this cause the problem?

Cheers,

Mike

check your brake fluid level, your vehicle should have a float switch as part of the master cylinder fluid tank cap, one wire is earth, other is a 12v feed to light the red ! on the dash.

Cool, so it's not got some clever brake pad sensor? ;)

I'll have a look tomorrow. (I must buy a decent torch).

On my 110, that light is activated by the PDWA switch attached to the bulkhead on the drivers side in the engine bay. You'll spot it as the brake pipes run ito it. It measures if there is a mismatch in breaking effort front to rear. If there is, it signifies a leak somewhere - i had a rear cylinder weeping ever so slightly and the light came on under heavy breaking. Changed the cylinder and bled and all back to normal.

On my 110, that light is activated by the PDWA switch attached to the bulkhead on the drivers side in the engine bay. You'll spot it as the brake pipes run ito it. It measures if there is a mismatch in breaking effort front to rear. If there is, it signifies a leak somewhere - i had a rear cylinder weeping ever so slightly and the light came on under heavy breaking. Changed the cylinder and bled and all back to normal.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if my fiddling with the vacuum pipe that goes to the EGR valve might have affected this switch.

I used this as a guide: http://www.landyworld.co.uk/EGRvalve.htm.

I use Halfords DOT 4 brake fluid, they don't actually make it. never given me any problem.

no pad wear sensors on any Defender AFAIK.

Yeah, I'll check it and get some tomorrow.

I was being sarcastic ;) If a Defender had wear sensors on the brakes it wouldn't be a Defender!

Not sure if there is a PDWA switch on the 300 TDI.

My light started to come on when the level was fine, turned out there was some black gunge stuck in the float switch :blink:

Not sure if there is a PDWA switch on the 300 TDI.

My light started to come on when the level was fine, turned out there was some black gunge stuck in the float switch :blink:

no there isn't just a fluid low level switch, PDWA was removed in the 1991 brake system rationalisation so all defenders had the same wiring/brake loss warning.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if my fiddling with the vacuum pipe that goes to the EGR valve might have affected this switch.

I used this as a guide: http://www.landyworl...uk/EGRvalve.htm.

I'd say the comment about affecting the brakes is in relation to if you have a vacuum leak you will have no brake servo assist, that shouldn't affect the light.

Right, an update.

There is plenty of brake fluid in the reservoir.

The connections are on, if a little loose and dirty.

I've noticed that if I hit the brake, the light comes on then flickers.

Pumping the brake with the engine on and the bonnet open nothing happens.

I think it might be as simple as the sound proofing inside the bonnet catching the electrical connection on top of the cap and causing a break in continuity.

I've turned the contacts on the cap 180 degrees hopefully job done.

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well mines old and has the PDWA valve/switch.

I had a lot of travel on the brake pedal, and the light would come on towards the end of the pedal stroke.

First things that came to mind were: Brake fluid leak, fluid low, bad wheel bearing/wobbly disc pushing the pistons back in caliper, bleb in flexi-hose.

But it pays to keep it simple and start at the beginning. Rear shoes were right out of adjustment. Adjusted them up, problem solved.

Ha, okay. An update.

I bought a new sensor cap... Turns out the min level on the bottle is nonsense.

Stupid blooming level thingy... Cost me a fiver for a new sensor.

Why was the level down? Simple, the seal round the cap was knackered so the fluid was escaping.