Locker for a Defender NAS V8 in rally

A friend of mine is preparing his NAS (original) for running next year's rally season in Colombia. Everything have been going well, we have tested all the new components with really good succes. Next step is a locker for rear axle. At this moment, options are:

ARB 100% (compressor)

JTM 100% (compressor)

Ashcroft ATB (kind of LSD)

I personally don´t like 100% lockers, for me they are more for fun or play than for serious things, and my friend doesnt't have the expirience for this. Air activated lockers have also the problem of air lines, a really big issue here in Colombia were you find all kind of carp that goes directly to transmision in the bushes.

What do you think of ATB locker? is strong enough for a V8 this powerful (modified with new injectors, timing and others tricks, supposedly good for 250 hp. This must be real as this car can go head to head until 90 kph with my friend's Ford Edge). If any other LSD brand come to your head, please let me know.

Quaif? a sort of posidrive limited slip with funny gears.

KAM can be limited slip with plates and have a diff lock in the same unit. Some fab needed though.

If it helps you out, my next plan is to run pipes and wires to the axel in 1/2" hydraulic hose. It will also be the breather pipe. I will weld a 1/2" fitting to the axel case. (This winters task)

Ashlocker or McNamara are both good, just aviod the ARB if your buying new !

Tie the airlines to the radius arms, make them so the air lines can't be "Got" at, but carry spare tube and

a simple push fit end to end joiner, then if the line does somehow get damaged cut out the amaged bit put in new pipe, add 2 x end joiners and off you go

Nige

For a rally event, the ATB is the best choice. You have no need for a full locker and no time or place to use it.

ATBs front and rear with chrome moly shafts, CV joints and drive members. High quality aftermarket propshafts. Ashcroft R&Ps, pegged. One piece cross shaft in the transfer case. Nothing will ever break and there will be zero traction problems for rally style driving.

Next, 250 hp is not enough....

Put good money into the suspension.

250 hp is enough for colombian rally, our roads are no wide enough to go faster. As for now, he have a OME Nitrocharger with double rear shock absorber, everything seems fine. Thanks a lot for the advice in the ATB, have somebody used it?

ARB are well known in Land Rover for being the mother of all air leaks, a total headache, specially here where nobody knows how to make diff things perfect.

Thanks a lot for the advice in the ATB, have somebody used it?

Sure lots of people run them They only fall short in slow work with tyres off the ground. Everything else they work very well.

If it were me I would get something more advanced than the OME shocks. They are pretty basic. A good shock make all the difference at speed on rough roads.

I run an ATB in the back of my Rally Discovery and an open 4-pin front. I find this is a great combination for speed events. I also use a BW viscous centre which also helps with the balance at speed.

My ATB is the Eaton Truetrac variety, which isn't the strongest, but they are good value and have reasonable worldwide distribution.

I think that when I replace it which is imminent, I will opt for the Ashcroft ATB or a KAM plate LSD.

250 BHP should be plenty - especially on OME shocks. We run amongst some of the quick guys in the UK with only 220 BHP, but we have Milner Varidamp shocks. Money spent on decent damping is well worth it!

OK, we didn't know OME was so bad in this, they feel really good in ugly terrain and give very good control on speed (I know they got heat really fast). I have just write to Milner enquiring for Varidamp. Henry, can you tell me which springs you combine with this shock absorbers? are OME HD springs enough or definetely I have to go with something specialized?

Red, which brand do you recomend me for shock absorbers? Please have in mind this car is not only for racing, it will be used as weekend off road warrior. What about the springs? are OME good enough?

OME are fine and probably strong enough - they could possibly fade on long rough stages, but if you are talking about normal car rallies rather than off road racing then they will probably be more than up to the job.

Fox, King, Radflo, SwayAway, Bilstein, Donerre, Ohlins, Reiger and a number of others (largely US inspired) all have a range of off road motorsport dampers. Milner have their own (as I use) but are also dealers for Fox and probably the best - Donerre.

Generally you get what you pay for. I raced for many years on eight Procomp ES9000's which were excellent for the money, but the Varidamps are just in a different league.

As for springs - if you are talking to Milners get them to recommend the spring rates to match the dampers. They got the valving and spring rates 'about right' for me first time. I use Allmakes OEM spec Land Rover springs.

More information and some video on our blog: http://www.friesianracing.co.uk

Red, which brand do you recomend me for shock absorbers? Please have in mind this car is not only for racing, it will be used as weekend off road warrior. What about the springs? are OME good enough?

I'm using Konis and they are leaps and bounds better than the OMEs I took off when driving at speed on rough ground. As Henry says above, though, if for racing, I would spend real money on racing shocks valved to suit your exact weight and springs. If you do want a simple straight bolt in the Konis (824SPX or 90 series) work very well.

Here non shock absorbers have support, except for Gabriel, Monroe and some other national brands, so whatever we buy, it's for our owns..... Milner haven't answered yet. Henry, do you have an aprox on cost for these?

Red, I assume you mention Konis by their shocks, not springs, right? sorry to ask, but we really are ignorant in this. Which model o konis do you use?

Red, I assume you mention Konis by their shocks, not springs, right? sorry to ask, but we really are ignorant in this. Which model o konis do you use?

Yes shocks. I have 8240SPX (Heavy Track) series shocks. The 90 (RAID) series are built stronger, but valved the same. All have lifetime warranties and have adjustable rebound dampening. Here in Canada, the 8240SPX run $150 each and the 90s $300 each.

Everything I've heard (and seen) from racers is that money spent on (very) good shock absorbers is about the best thing you can do.

Proper race shocks are a million miles away from on-road or off-road gear that most people have, and come with the price-tag to match. OME are excellent shocks, but they are not race-spec. I would be listening to what the racers are saying, as the demands racing puts on a vehicle are way above anything most people will ever experience, even when doing hard off-roading.