M & S Tyre advice

Ibex94

Hi Guys,

I have an 02 plate L322 Rangey which I want to fit some Goodyear MTR's on for the Winter. Concern is that that are only S speed rated. The manual specifies off road tyres with speed ratings Q/T subsequently stating that vehicle speed is then limited to that of the tyre speed rating. Is it therefore acceptable to fit S's?

Does anyone know what Dibbles view on this would be?

Many thanks

Rob

As stated above a MT tyre wont be great especially on ice. A decent AT tyre like BFG AT or General grabbers AT2 will be fine (they are all season tyres). Used some BFG AT's during winter in Switzerland and couldn't fault them. General Grabbers AT2's are currently fitted to my 110 and they where great the last few winters.

If not, go for some proper winter tyres (michelin 4x4 alpin for example).

An S rated tyre for speed means max 112mph. Q is 99mph and T is 118mph which i doubt you will be reaching in winter conditions.

HTH

Thanks for views guys.

Just to clarify - my vehicle has 19" rims so from searching around I can only find General Grabbers and MTR's in the right size. (Preference from previous experience would be BFG's but they just don't go big enough.) I am also a small holder and use vehicle off road throughout the year so I'm looking more than just good wet road performance. I don't have any experience of the new Grabber A/T's are they any good on wet muddy fields? How bad are MTR's on road?

Thanks for advice again.

Rob

I don't agree with the generalisation that mud tyres are rubbish on ice, its not the pattern that matters but the type of rubber compound, the temperature range the tyre is designed to operate in is the important bit!

"winter" tyres are normally rated for 8 degrees and below in the uk

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any experience of the new Grabber A/T's are they any good on wet muddy fields? How bad are MTR's on road?

I ran the old General AT2s on a previous vehicle and they were fine in all conditions including snow. The AT2s got me round the Abingdon 4x4 Festival pay and play course which was mud / wet grass / gravel etc. When the backs wore out I put the newer ATs on which were also fine - better than the AT2s on road (quieter at least). I didn't try the newer ATs off road, but although they look less 'bitey' all of the magazine reviews say they are better.