New head gaskets leaking oil

V8david

Right... bo**ocks and more bloody BO**OCKS

I've got the newly assembled engine back in the car (3.5 V8). The block was spotlessly clean, both heads skimmed, both heads torqued down as per torque sequence (except for bolts 11-14, they're less than half torque), all with composite gaskets and ARP studs.

F**king bullet proof i'd have thought... but no.

I primed the oil pump with a drill to make sure oil was safely getting up to the rockers, which it was. Confidently put the engine back in the car. Now there is a slight oil weep down both outsides of the block (OS more than NS). I wiped and left overnight incase it was from the re-assembly but no, it was back this morning.

It's definitely coming from between head and block on both sides. Anyone had this? Any ideas? Rubbish gaskets perhaps? The gaskets came as part of a set.

Obviously I haven't started the car yet as reassembly has stopped, so it's only got the intake manifold to remove to get the heads off again. If it weeps oil from a quick prime with a drill I dread to think what would happen at a few thousand RPM with the bloody thing running.

Anyone recommend really good quality composite head gaskets? Do any come with additional sealing around the oilways? I'd also like the ones with specific sealing around the water ways.

Cheers

David

Given that you're using non-standard head-bolts/studs, dould it be that they have 'bottomed' - run out of thread - because the heads have been skimmed?

You wouldn't be the first person who's torqued-down a head on an engine but the 'torque' is actually because the nut/bolt has hit the bottom of the thread; the Ford 'essex' V6 is known for this if you skim the heads/reface the block.

Thanks for the lightning fast replies!

No, I don't think there's a bottoming out issue with the threads, the ARP studs seemed a fair bit shorter than the standard bolts I took out. Like the train of thought though.

I've heard 'Elring' before, thank you, will look into some of them!

Update...

Got the heads off again today for a look. Both heads and block faces are dead straight, can't get the finest feeler on my feeler gauge under my straight edge on either head or block face at any point.

So my only question is why, or rather more importantly how have the head gaskets failed so dramatically without the bloody thing even running? There's one tiny little oilway going up through the heads on each side, at pretty low pressure, and they BOTH leaked, and undid all my F**KING hard work.

Anyone got any stockists, or better still links to stockists of aforementioned head gaskets...?

I used cheap headgaskets recently on my 3.5 - it leaked water on the drivers side head when cold!

Reassembled with Elring gaskets and all good now. I ordered mine from LRdirect as you can pop in the part number and then choose a manufacturer of the part.

V8Tuner and Britcar sell Elring gaskets (just done mine). I'm not a fan of RPI/Partsrange. Who made your (faulty?) gasket set?

If oil is weeping BOTH sides, could it in fact be the VALLEY gasket that's leaking and the oil is just "wicking" along the joint making it look like the head gasket is going?

That is a good point, had this before, pushing out the rear of the engine, travelling down the side of the heads, and eventually onto the exhaust manifold :x

It has since gone to the scrapyard in the sky, as it well deserved to :)

Bear in mind the seals and the clamps on composite are different ones to the steel tin gasket ones !

Also add a small amount of sealer (1/2 a pea size) at the corners where the seals join the gaskets before the clamps go on

Another vote for Elring, all I will ever use, and a down vote as above for RPI some of their stuff is **** and might make britpart proud

their service is also "Something else" :lol:

Nige

I'm amazed the gasket didn't seal with ARP studs. They must give near double the pull down force over standard? So the gaskets must be absolutely cronk!

I'm not pleased to hear about RPI head gaskets :)

I now hope that if they sealed first time they will stay sealed.............

I wonder what their tappits are like ?

Thanks for all the replies.

The set was from v8tuner, I thought it would be safe from there but obviously not. The head gaskets were composite (which I f**cking paid f**cking extra for) but were not Elring as I assume the name would have been visible on either the packaging or gaskets themselves?

The valley gasket was sealed at the ends (really nicely I found when I pulled it all apart). It never came into play anyway as all I did was pump a bit of oil round with my drill until I saw it dripping from the rockers. Then it gently dripped back down the valley and into the sump. The engine never even ran which is why this is so annoying. Anything above the head/block join was also bone dry and spotlessly clean so the oil only came from one place. I could also see that the gasket material was wet with oil before I took it apart again.

Also it was definitely from the heads as when I took them off the gaskets were covered in oil. It's like they just didn't seal at all around the oilways. I know what you mean Team Idris, those ARP studs took the heads so tight I thought it would be (almost) totally impossible for any leaks. That's why I couldn't believe it when I saw the oil weep down the sides of the block.

Anyway, today I cleaned everything AGAIN for re-assembly. I'll update this when I get the gaskets and re-test with my trusty, fault finding drill. If it weeps oil again, a grenade is DEFINITELY going plum in the middle of the valley...

if you cant feel any ridges etc with a fingernail then it will be fine.

My elring gaskets were sealed in polythene on a red coloured cardboard backing, with a little hologram at the bottom. Also had a little sheet enclosed that had the various torques and methods of tightening for the different era's of head bolts.

Think they actually had elring marked on the gasket themselves too

Just a point you should note is that using composite gaskets on a 3.5 will lower your compression ratio significantly. So if you started will a low compression motor and add composite gaskets the compression ratio will now be down to around 7.0 to 1. You should only use composite gaskets on 10 bolt heads, not 14 bolt heads. Alternatively you need to shave 40 thou off the 14 bolt heads to compensate for the composite gaskets. That is, 10 bolt heads are 40 thou thinner than 14 bolt heads from the factory to compensate.

I'd question the "significantly", but that argument has been done before.

Given the engine is an '89 EFI and so "high compression" I wouldn't worry about it.

How do you know it is a high compression motor?

He can tell by looking where the engine number is stamped on the block as the compression ratio is stamped at the top right of the engine number.

Even if it is a high compression, the composite gasket will drop the compression ratio to just below a low compression motor.

Like I said, that argument has been done before.

You do not *have* to skim the heads, you do not *have* to use tin gaskets with 14-bolt heads, you *can* use composite gaskets if you want. I've done it, it was fine, no-one died, let's not get all het up about it eh?