110 side exit exhaust ideas?

yea i like it !! how did you do it? did you use flexi exhaust or make a solid pipe ???

it uses a standard landy exhaust (19j exhaust on a defender 200) upto the rear silencer, then uses some pre made bends to go up and over the chassis, theres a small bracket off the sill supporting the end piece.

A fabricator friend did it for me for my Birthday a few years ago. I made the stainless finisher ring in a couple of lunch breaks at work.

Hi,

I just fitted a stainless steel exhaust to my 110 so have spent a lot of time recently underneath it.

I was wondering on taking it through the chassis rail but cutting a round hole and welding a larger than the exhaust diameter tube in place. I guess that the sleave would put the strength back in the chassis rail..!?

So the exhaust could exit out the side under the sill...

I doubt the MOT tester would be to pleased... but would look pretty good..!!

Just a thought..

As well as being antisocial to pedestrians, an exhaust that points at 90-degrees from the side of a vehicle on the passenger-side of the road can potentially cause you 'issues' at MoT-time. Far better to have the exhaust exiting at an angle - and also make sure you have a "rolled" edge on the exit pipe as any sharp-edged protrusions can also be a MoT-fail.

Passengers/pedestrians should not be able to touch the hot exhaust. Look at the sort of setups now fitted to "Lotus 7" style sports-cars with side exhausts.

It's always easier to design-for-least-hassle than have to modify things after meeting with a particularly-anal police/VOSA/MOT-man.

As well as being antisocial to pedestrians, an exhaust that points at 90-degrees from the side of a vehicle on the passenger-side of the road can potentially cause you 'issues' at MoT-time. Far better to have the exhaust exiting at an angle - and also make sure you have a "rolled" edge on the exit pipe as any sharp-edged protrusions can also be a MoT-fail.

Passengers/pedestrians should not be able to touch the hot exhaust. Look at the sort of setups now fitted to "Lotus 7" style sports-cars with side exhausts.

It's always easier to design-for-least-hassle than have to modify things after meeting with a particularly-anal police/VOSA/MOT-man.

The guy that does my mot's told me that the exhaust can exit anywhere you like.

Rule of thumb, exit behind all passenger doors, if you want to be text book google VOSA IVA Manual and read the section on exhausts, comply with that and you'll be spot on

As for cutting through the chassis rail...that's just plain not a good idea when there are plenty of alternatives!

My 110 has a SS side exit exhaust, was istalled by the previous owner, not too keen on it to be honest , the 200tdi covers the side in smoke on start up, pic below !!

Also when I start up at the petrol station , the poor fella the other side of the pump gets a good lung full !!! :blush:

N.

post-3135-0-15723000-1350753399_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My 110 has a SS side exit exhaust, was istalled by the previous owner, not too keen on it to be honest , the 200tdi covers the side in smoke on start up, pic below !!

Also when I start up at the petrol station , the poor fella the other side of the pump gets a good lung full !!! :blush:

N.

I like the dirty mark - reminds me of a spirtfire exhaust trail...

spitfires_1681076c.jpg