Uneven, severe camshaft wear on rover v8?

mat2495

Morning all,

Started stripping a 3.5 v8 for inspection, as it hasn't been run in some time, and found that a nearly half a dozen of the lobes on the camshaft have worn nearly round, it was achieving maybe 1/16th" lift at the cam follower, while the rest are managing the original 0.39" iirc. I was just curious if anyone can shed a little light on this as I can't see why it would have worn this badly, there is no pattern to which ones are gone either, both on cylinder 6, one on 7, one on 2 etc.

Any thoughts or have i completely lost the plot?

Thanks, Matt

When the engine becomes heavily clagged up the followers stop revolving the way they should, and this can give such a result. Also the followers becomes dished as they wear, and this will reduce lift. Have you had a look at them?

Cyl No 7 is often worse than most - something to do with oil feeds / flows

Cams do wear, as some have said its cam followers being reused / swapped on work done

but often its either just plain old mileage and a lack of regular oil changes

With Rover V8s its not "How Good" the oil is its more "How Often" its changed

Use a decent oil and change it and filter regularly and the differencee is vast

Nige

The engine is new to my friends ownership, bought in a otherwise nice 110 that was a non runner. Its pretty black and gungy inside, and yes all of the followers are dished on the bottom. I wouldn't like to guess at the mileage, as the clock says 1700!

Removed one of the cylinder heads to take a look at the bores, and they were okay, no pitting or scoring, but one of the valves appears to have melted slightly.

The part i couldn't understand is how it got this much wear seeing how i wouldn't run in this condition.

Whats the consensus, worth rebuilding or start looking for a replacement? one of my concerns is that the missing cam and follower material will have ended up somewhere soft and important like the big ends or the main bearings

All the parts you have spoken of are pretty much off the shelf replacement parts, it really just depends on how much you want to spend on it?

put £500-600 of new parts and a couple of weeks(if you do it bit by bit) to do it and you will have a nice serviceable engine that will do another 70,000miles, the problem with S/H engines is that most are worn out and often the case with older cars, the older it gets the less maintenance it sees and it is run on a fix what's broken attitude, would not surprise me if you bought another and had same or only slightly better when opened up.

If you want a good reliable engine, spend a few pound on this one, or buy another(costing you again), and potentially have to re-build that one instead It's all money and time just depends on what you want from the engine once it is running also.

No

Don't waste time and money on a 3.5

Buy a 3.9 Serpentine unit complete, for my money the best V8 BL ever produced

cross bolted block

square / close to stoke bore = revvy and likes to Rev

Crankshaft driven oil pump

No squeaky drive belts

Can be had for little funds,

straight repalcement

more BHP & Torque and THATS woth a rebuild

On the rebuild

Composite heads and Valley gasket

ARP Head stud kit

Duplex timing wheels and chain

+ Bludy good powerfull engine

Nige

With Rover V8s its not "How Good" the oil is its more "How Often" its changed

Use a decent oil and change it and filter regularly and the differencee is vast

Nige

Just Google "zddp cam wear" and you will immediately find that oils that are low in ZDDP causes accelerated cam and lifter wear.