Ford coil pack failures?

Tom1809

Nope wouldn't run otherwise as you would not fire on all 8 in correct firing order, it all runs and idles fine once started, then suddenly dies, and then the ecu comes back on thinking that its running which makes the fuel pump run, no power to the injectors tho.

So far tried and fitted this lot.

New coil packs x 2

New Edis unit,

New Edis pig tail kit

New wiring from the Edis to coil packs

New spark plugs x 8.

New relays x 3

New tps sensor

Re loading tune

Reflashing firmware to ecu, loading nige's map on from cd

Washing board in running alcohol

Resoldering db37 pin connector

When cut out dumping some easy start in, didn't fire

New carling switch,

New igntion switch

The only thing is wiring , vr sensor and maybe a new CPU chip, really starting to think about options

a) rip out everything and start again, new loom kit, go for the really board and completely move everything about and out a new CPU on my existing ecu.

B) remove the v8 and auto box and fit a td5 out of a disco 2 and lose the fight with the winging mrs over economy vs sound

Well last night I ordered up everything I needed to start again. I can rule out a vr sensor cause it would give my problems.

I had a long chat with Nigel in the morning yesterday and I think it's a wiring issue. I checked my 12 v supply's as I ran new ones straight of the battery's. but something's breaking down when it gets hot. I had ran the loom for the injectors and the coil packs together splitting off where needed so I'm wondering when things got a little hot it's breaking down and just cutting the supply to them.

So looks like Saturday n Sunday a complete rewire. If that's not it then I've got to have a really hard look at the ecu but can't see that being to much of a issue as it ran for 12 hours on the stim

it all runs and idles fine once started, then suddenly dies, and then the ecu comes back on thinking that its running which makes the fuel pump run, no power to the injectors tho.

It's been a while since I played with one, but from what I remember, if the pump stops then starts up again, the MS must be rebooting. That would suggest either duff power supply to the MS, noise pickup in the wiring, or a duff MS. Running on the stim isn't the same as running in real life.

Have you tried watching what the MS is doing on the laptop?

What TSD said - the MS will run the pump for ~2sec at "power-on", assuming it has "fire priming pulse" set:

cranking.png

It will then only fire up the pump once it sees some ignition events (RPM signal), if it stops it shuts off the fuel pump after ~2sec.

If you have no power to the injectors when you should, something's wrong.

Hi fellas, thought I would pop in and give you a bit of a update, progress has been slowed due to a unknown illness but I have all the loom on the engine and through into the landrover ready to wire up to the relay board. My findings found a few brittle wires where they had been affected by the heat and also some where the insulation was starting to be effected. I would put these as part of my problems. The culprit for the coil pack failures I am putting down to the Edis unit. The damage to CPU on the board was caused by a short on the wiring to the injectors due to damage from the fire.

Hopefully over the week I can pull back some time and get on with it and hopefully have a truck I can use once the doctors give me the all clear, I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms from not hering that lovely roar on a daily basis.

Well progress was made today, it runs and its such a marked improvement over what was before.

I so far have replaced

Edis unit - completely dead, won't run or spark with this. I THINK INTIAL CULPRIT

Vr sensor - coupled with old Edis unit makes fuel pump run all time, coupled with new Edis no rpm signal

Wiring had to be replaced because of fire

Coil packs replaced cause they exploded

Spark plugs had to be replaced as it killed 4 off them

CPU had to be replaced on the mother board, was having issues with restarting after it initially was used, replacing the CPU seemed to fix it, however the old one would work again after a few hours.

So now I have a running v8 defender again with a much neater instalation than previous thanks to using the relay board and locating everything differently

:D

Exellent

I have not heard of an EDIS doing the dmage you suffered, I am wondering if the Leccy clever gurus here can explain

Why an EDIS can do this amount of dmage ?

If indeed it can?

What else could do this carnage if not the EDIS ?

And - key - is there a modification / addition (ie fuses etc) that could be done to protect system if this was to happen ?

But congrats Tom, glad to hear your sorted

Nige

If one of the coil drivers in the EDIS goes down then it could fry a coil, the opposite (a wonky coil or wiring short damaging the EDIS) seems less likely as it controls coil current, not impossible though. The fuse supplying the coil +ve would catch either if fused separately & with a low-ish value but I think the usual method is ganging the coil supply with other things so you end up with one, bigger, fuse.

The death toll on this one suggests something "bigger" to me - like a runaway alternator over-volting the supply, a grounding issue causing current to go where it shouldn't (like how welding on a car can damage electronics), or some sort of wiring issue / mistake leading to things being cooked.

The wiring fire suggests that either wiring or fusing was not super fantastic, even with a fuse too big to save a coil the wiring should not be able to spontaneously combust.

Yes it its great, the engine has not been so smooth or run like it has since day one. I've got the same issue as Sam which is a bit of a flat spot when accelerating but that seems common and down to the base map you supply right Nige? A bit of data logging should have that sorted.

Well I have done a lot of things differently this time, the coils are all wired separately and wrapped separately. I have split it down to four looms instead if running it back in one, so I have effectively sensors , coil pack a&b then c&d and the injectors. The Edis unit is now down in the td5 ecu seat box.ecu in center consol and used a relay board which is on the back bulkhead.

The wires that where the first to melt was the 12volt feed and coil pack c ground, unfortunately I had everything taped together so that's what caused the exstive damage and back feeding current and to where It should of gone. The 10 amp fuse that was in the holder has blown but melted together so kept a continouse supply till I had switched it off and the smoke appeared.

I have now fused the coil pack lives next to the coil packs with 5 amps fuses and they seem to be able to cope fine and hopefully will be low enough to stop exstensive damage.

The only things I do Have a switch on the 12 volt live to the eidis, the fuel pump has a hidden switch in it and there is also a switch in the switched live to the relay board. It's all there as a bit of a security measure to slow someone down

Forgot to mention after that was mention had the alternator checked by prolek auto electrics and came back fine, I think it was likely that there was a faulty coil pack driver, they all went on coil pack c, coil pack d continued to work. Surely if it was something else other than that it would of damaged the other coil packs as well and wouldn't of occurred all the time on that coil pack.