Help and suggestions for new water temp gauge

Hybrid_From_Hell

Ok

The 5.2 has a problem with water temp gauge

The gauge reads F Hot when Luke warm which is not much use. Prob is the gauge is a 1985 pulsator 3.5 V8 and the sender is a Thor unit ! Erm "slighted match alert"

My thoughts on swapping to the original sender is a non as its location is blanked off and to drilled and tap it would be inlet manifold off time - no way !

Hold for current sender = same problem so have been thinking of new gauge

Was wondering about Joys of mechanical vs electric and options in fitting ?

Tip of the list is to cut into the top hose with a nice joiner with a sensor in it and a me matched temp 52mm gusher to replace the 1985 one ?

Thoughts ?

How accurate would A top hose mounted gauge be - which is hottest top or bottom hose ? I am never ever able to remember !!

Or shat other ideas had the collective got

Discuss

Nige

Nige.

Where is your sensor fitted now ? I fitted mine in the same place on my 300Tdi where the original was fitted. Temperature gauge sensors are 1/8" NPT fitting.

This is the one I have fitted. http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/(S(mawsgdrttmq3tmux242phulc))/design/productdetails/default.aspx?objid=215

I suggest you get the analogue gauge as you can see the needle move !! If you set the needle vertical for "normal" running you don't need to remember the last place it was.

That's a nice looking gauge. Shame they don't make it with a green backlight to match the rest of the gauges :(

VDO vision do one that offers that functionality. Still an expensive gauge, but not quite the SPA money.

They do green in the digital gauges.

Nige, i can't remember what your engine looks like. But is the hose after the thermostat like in the 'older' style ? If so, you need it in the inlet area before the thermostat.

FWIW, all my gauges are stack.

G

You could put a temp sensor in heater matrix output hose as this will always see the water flow (as water never just goes around the engine, it always leaves the engine, with the thermostat closed the only route is via the heater matrix and then back to the rad bottom hose and to the water pump)

England - i like to know the temperature all the time, not just when my thermostat is open :P

You have a thor sensor in now, why not just remove that and replace with your new one ? *Simples* :P :P :P