Educate me on air compressors please

smokinv8

Hi

I'm no expert, but I went from a 1.5hp 25l compressor to a 3hp 150l just for hobby use (the Land Rover). I think it has 13/14 cfm, I can use an air hacksaw, air chisels, cutting, grinding, drilling, da sander and spraying . I found some information on the interweb very useful.

It's not used every day but really useful when needed, it doesn't take long for it to pay for it's self. The same goes for a mig welder.

Do a search first then decide what you want it to do.

Secondhand can be great. I paid £205 for a barely used 3.5hp 200l 17cfm snap on compressor on ebay.

But if you do go the s/h route you do have to be wary of the condition of the inside of the tank. A badly maintained one could rust from the inside out..... Not good on a pressure vessel!

Bigger is better!

a bigger compressor is invaluable, i had a 3hp 50L but that packed up after two years then decided to pay the money and got a new 200l and wired it up with a 32 amp blue socket and on its own separate fuse and it has never missed a beat no matter what tool i have used with it. having it wired to a separte fuse allows me to isolate it from electrictiy supply when not in use.

When mine packs up (it's getting rough) I now regard a 3hp/150L as a good all-rounder. I currently have a 2hp 25L Draper and it struggles with air tools. One with a max pressure of 10 bar rather than 7-8 is essential too, as mine doesn't kick in till about 70psi which means air tools don't work well unless the tank is full.

Thanks for the info chaps.

Have been looking at units with 3hp 90-100L tanks and cfm 12.2-14.5. Some are 8 bar with the higher cfm whereas my favoured unit is 10 bar but 12.2 cfm.

Some are direct drive and others belt driven, all with twin motors though.

I will probably go for a Machine Mart boxer 100 unit, but have seen similar Sealey and Wolf machines.

Buying a decent compressor is difficult , Machine Mart have about 50 compressors to choose from!

All i want is it to suck air in one end and blow it out the other. Could just use my missus for that!!! ;)

I bought a single phase Hydrovane 502 which is about 8cfm and 2.2kw from a compressor dealer on eBay. I bought the compressor alone without a reservoir (and plumbed it into the one from my old compressor). It's bloody good! It will run most tools, inc my plasma which uses a lot of air, continuously.

Best of all, it's very quiet - so doesn't upset my neighbours! Buying the compressor on its own seemed to make it relatively cheap! They are easy to service and all the parts are available so you can buy an old one and still service it. It's one of my favourite purchases!

Si

I bought a single phase Hydrovane 502 which is about 8cfm and 2.2kw from a compressor dealer on eBay. I bought the compressor alone without a reservoir (and plumbed it into the one from my old compressor). It's bloody good! It will run most tools, inc my plasma which uses a lot of air, continuously.

Best of all, it's very quiet - so doesn't upset my neighbours! Buying the compressor on its own seemed to make it relatively cheap! They are easy to service and all the parts are available so you can buy an old one and still service it. It's one of my favourite purchases!

Si

I second a Hydrovane 502, it's 10bar and 8cfm (FAD) which is about 12CFM displacement (which is what most piston compressors quote) and very quiet.

Mine came mounted on a 90L tank all for £350 of ebay (they are worth £ thousands new), it looked new and had been serviced regularly by the university it came from.

And my neighbours don't complain (unlike they do for the guy across the road with a piston compressor)

The Machinemart Clarke Blue line compressors Quote

"These machines produce noise levels in excess of 70dB(A). Persons working in the vicinity of the machine must be provided with suitable ear protection."

They don't actually give a max value

The Hydrovane is Max of 62dbA which is the level of a normal conversation 1 foot away.

I can confirm that instead of shouting to be heard when the compressor is running you can talk normally to people with a Hydrovane.

They also have a much higher duty cycle, I believe it is 100% as you can actually run them without a tank as the delivery of air is smooth not pulsed like a piston compressor.

I have a VAT off voucher here for Machine Mart if you need one...

Thanks for the offer O.F. but I can wait till I get one come through in my own name as I can put it through my business and claim the VAT back (I'm sure HM Revenue will believe I use it for blowing up Budgies and inflating flat Hamsters! ) :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

i have had nothing but good luck with sealey compressors started off with a 50ltr direct drive v-twin which is still being used by a friend after 7 years. moved on to a 100ltr 3hp belt drive then added a 200ltr external tank used that for 3 years worked fine and have now upgraded to a 270ltr 3 phase 10hp and still using the external 200ltr tank. they are all still running so i would recommend them. but i also use a petrol clarke compressor for mobile repairs and it is also very good and very powerfull due to the petrol engine loads of air can run a 1 inch impact fine so i think s long as you go for a good name it will be ok.

i have had nothing but good luck with sealey compressors started off with a 50ltr direct drive v-twin which is still being used by a friend after 7 years. moved on to a 100ltr 3hp belt drive then added a 200ltr external tank used that for 3 years worked fine and have now upgraded to a 270ltr 3 phase 10hp and still using the external 200ltr tank. they are all still running so i would recommend them. but i also use a petrol clarke compressor for mobile repairs and it is also very good and very powerfull due to the petrol engine loads of air can run a 1 inch impact fine so i think s long as you go for a good name it will be ok.