no oil pressure on 300tdi ??

hi people ,right heres what happened I drove to work everything all same as useual, end of the day comes jump in the landy to go home and oil pressure light wont go out :s so left it there walked home and ordered oil pressure sender ,fitted it and light still on ? now im getting worryed ,is there any way of testing the oil pressure ???

Having experienced no oil pressure on a 300Tdi that was fitted with a proper oil pressure gauge, I suggest you get a mechanical gauge and fit it.

If there is still no oil pressure then come back.

Don't bother to fit the gauge into the truck. Leave it by the engine for the time being

Ben I'm going to look on the dark side here. Should the gauge shew no oil pressure.

Drop the oil and then the sump.

Is the strainer full of krap ?

Has the strainer fallen off the block.

Any krap in the oil. The oil in mine was very clean.

If no to those then front of engine off to check the oil pump. My pump had no lugs left at all where the gear runs on the crank nose.

Ben I'm going to look on the dark side here. Should the gauge shew no oil pressure.

Drop the oil and then the sump.

Is the strainer full of krap ?

Has the strainer fallen off the block.

Any krap in the oil. The oil in mine was very clean.

If no to those then front of engine off to check the oil pump. My pump had no lugs left at all where the gear runs on the crank nose.

At what mileage is this likely to happen?

Daan

Don't know Daan. Mine happened at about 220,000 miles but others have passed that mileage without problems.

In my case. as I replaced the oil pump gears to get me back across Africa in spite of the damaged crank where the pump gear runs , it's still running which now makes us think that it might have been sold to me like that. All I did was fit new pump gear and replace the bigend shells. I did drive 25 mile with little oil pressure.

Shifted camshaft bearings in the block, especially the rear one, can cause lack of oil pressure in 2.25/2.5 engines of all types....I don't believe there is any easy way to check though without removing the camshaft. That spring looks more likely to have come off a cheap pen than out of part of the engine though!

you can check the rear most cam bearing by removing the rear side plate on engines right hand side to rear of FIP, you'll need a small mirror & a good torch to see if there is a gap under the rear cam bearing, done this check on my 200tdi, so it should work for you, if no gap between cam & fitting in the block the bearing hasn't moved.