which welder

mig all the way, a decent set should be able to do thin stuff and work up to 6-7 mm. The portamigs are nice 15a min setting and a decent duty cycle. however if you arent feeling that spendy a clarke 151te turbo or a 160 with gas would be a good choice. Wait for a vat free day at machine mart.

Pete

The mig welding forum is a great place, I use it regularly. I would go with MIG over ARC if you are learning- mig is a bit more versatile also. Have you got a budget in mind for a welder? We may be able to give you a bit more advice then.

That should be fine get some 2mm plate and practise / optimise settings for good penetration etc for a few hours/ days with it in a vice or something (vertical) before tackling the chassis. As the guys have said go to the mig welding forum - some good guys there too will give you some machine specific advice.

Steve

Ive just gone through the same process but got given a stick for last xmas.

I could not get the hang of the stick. Especially on any of the steel gauge id want to work on on my 110.

I gave up in the end and last week bought a Clarke 135TE. It can run gas less but im using gas. Easier to weld with.

Ive gone from chicken poo and blowing holes with the stick to reasonable welds in a few hours and perfectly confident that with a bit more practice I can do anything I need to on the chassis to a safe and strong standard. Thats repairs not fabrication from scratch.

I thought learning on a stick, as it needs more technique, would be a good start but hadnt counted on it being so difficult.

Especially if you cant get lessons from someone who knows what they are doing.

Go for the best mig you can afford but factor in all the other bits and pieces you will need.

Get an auto darkening helmet. Raid the cut off bin of a local fabricator for practice pieces they will often just want a drink for it.

Ive been told the 135te should be up to any of the repairs I need on the chassis.

Ive also got stuff to do on the pillars and it will be ok for the thinner stuff.

Next year Ive got tosort out the bulkhead and again it should be up to the job.

Im ok for sheltering from the wind as I have a garage to use. So the gas shouldnt get blown away.

Outside in the wind is when the stick comes in handy but gas less wire canbe usd in the mig.

Gordon

Was speaking with welder offshore and he said arc would my best bet.

What he means is it would be his first choice because it's his speciality. I have met offshore welders, they are without doubt extremely skilled but generally have only done stick welding which is the correct process for their job. If you asked 100 automotive welders for their choice I doubt you'd get any recommend stick.

The machine you have sounds ideal for what you want to do, if you can get hold of some use an Argon CO2 mix, we use BOC Argoshield. The disposable cylinders are expensive and don't hold very much gas.

What he means is it would be his first choice because it's his speciality. I have met offshore welders, they are without doubt extremely skilled but generally have only done stick welding which is the correct process for their job. If you asked 100 automotive welders for their choice I doubt you'd get any recommend stick.

Agree with this.

Also, offshore conditions are not the same as a nice workshop. Hence another reason they like arc :) I have seen high pressure stuff get welded with arc and then inspected. Likewise we've also used tig on parts (stand pipe root weld ;) )

For jobs in the shop our welder uses both arc and mig. We have big machines of both. The tig is hardly ever used.

Besides - i think the first thing an offshore welder learns is where the coffee shop is !

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

If you've not done welding before then you need MIG, upsidedown welding with stick is not easy! MIG is very easy to use once you've got the setup right. I can stick, MIg and gas, and without a doubt I'd always use the MIG for the landrover.

Hopefully next winter I'll learn TIG!

You don't need big amps to weld a Landy (unless your name is Nige). Chassis is the thickest part at 2mm.

Regarding gas, as rogue vogue says, Argoshield is best, but if you don't want a BOC account (lots of rental £) there is always Adams Gas.

They will supply a bottle about the size of a large dive cylinder for a bottle deposit (£50 IIRC) plus gas fee. I have one of these, I don't weld lots so this size is ideal.

• 1 month later...