How to remove hammerite from panels

Hi,

The previous owner of my 110 thought that the inside of the panels would rust so applied uneven coats of hammerite inside (please, don't go there :ph34r: ).

I would appreciate advice on removing that scruffy carp paint from the roof and side panels (it's a hardtop and multi coloured inside!) as I'm planning to insulate the whole lot this summer. It's half peeling off and don't fancy wasting expensive self adhesive materials for it to peel off a week later !!!

I haven't got the luxury of a driveway (might be able to borrow a drive in shed!), would the old paint stripper (decapant in french, gluppy stuff and pretty messy/toxic) stuff do the job with the roof in place or should I go convertible for a few days?

Cheers

If oil based, biodiesel will apparently cause that to soften... (guess what I need to re-paint, hint it's right below the FIP. :) ) If it's xylene based you can often use acetone to wipe it off pretty easily.

I'll second this, we removed hammerite from some water tanks using this and it worked a treat. Need a well ventilated area though!

Btw, what insulation are you going to use?

Cheers,

Mike

I'm going to line the roof with the egg shell style mats from noise killer, tested it at billing a couple of years back and it was quite impressive. The rest will probably be done with fatmat, or the noise killer 110 hardtop kit.

I'll source some nitromors then ! Looking forward to do the roof...

Thanks for your advice

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with bluehaze, why bother putting yourself to extra hassle because once you start to strip the paint it will only look worse unless it is compleately done. I would leave it and add the insulation over it. And I would finish off the interior with a wolf insulation kit. The wolf kit covers every thing anyway and you will never see the paint wheather you strip it or not.

I myself put closed cell Aluminum Foil Bubble sheets directly to the sides of the back and then covered that again by sticking up a MILITARY LAND ROVER WOLF TUM RAD-HAZ kit over that. Theres loads on flea-bay at the moment or I bought mine from Craddocks. In the coldest winters here in Ireland I have never regreted it.