Turbo blew

Diablo

Jack,

Sorry to hear your engine has gone. When my first replacement went, like that, it turned out the oil switch was faulty.

I would check your oil switch and replace if needed.

Unfortunately I've sold the cottage and won't be over your way again otherwise I would give you a hand.

Good luck with sourcing a replacement and getti it fitted.

Chris

that's a big hole, any of the conrods missing ?

Possibly, it's very hard to see without using a camera. How would you tell, short of dropping the sump?

And what would cause this?

I don't think you need to drop the sump, this picture of yours shows the bearing surface of the crankshaft where the conrod should be connected ..... It looks sort of blue where it has got very hot and the rust starting to bloom on the crankshaft makes me think you have probably smashed the cylinder wall letting coolant into the engine as well...... Anyway if you can see the bearing surface the conrod has gone

The cause of that will be lack of oil .... which probably got caused by a knackered turbo

img20121216123511.jpg

"This fell off your car, is it important? "

Hahaha i remember doing something similar but the driver of the car said to me "is that important" as i handed her half a cv joint and half shaft after one her wishbone ball joints had given way, Impressive the lady managed to stop the car in a straight line with her front nearside wheel wedged perpedicularly into the wheel arch/wing.

We had a catapillar big high speed diesel throw a rod a few months ago.

post-20087-0-69716600-1355742555_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-24587700-1355742573_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-27370000-1355742587_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-53778400-1355742603_thumb.jpg

Bet that made a fair old bang!

Is the disco turbo the same? Or will I still need to recon mine, assuming I get a disco lump and convert it to a defender style one?

I'm also finding it hard to convince myself it's a good idea to buy an engine, be it from ebay or a breaker, without seeing it running in a vehicle.

Bet that made a fair old bang!

Is the disco turbo the same? Or will I still need to recon mine, assuming I get a disco lump and convert it to a defender style one?

I'm also finding it hard to convince myself it's a good idea to buy an engine, be it from ebay or a breaker, without seeing it running in a vehicle.

Jack,

No difference in the turbos, as far as I know. The only difference is their location/orientation on the engine. The disco one is very tight to to the inner wing, as its lower than the defender one.

This is off the top of my head, so I am willing to stand corrected.

Chris