waterproofing starter

Hi I have a disco 200 fitted in my 90

Everytime I go wading usually over the bonnet a day or so later the starter wont kick in. I turn the key and nothing today I got round it by rocking the car back and forth in gear and the it turn over straight away. Early when it happened I just flicked the key a few times and it started.

This is the 3rd starter it was working fine before it went swimming at the weekend. Any idea how to make them a little more water friendly or how to fix this starter. This and The other starters were fine until they get in deep water and then theg stop working.

I am sure when I done the conversion I could not fit the wading plug but I cant remember. Where is the bell housing wading plug. I have a NAD flywheel housing mounted to my disco block.

Any ideas because I am stuck apart from dont take it swimming.

Baz

Would this stop my problems with my starters

Unfortunately not, though it will help prevent water contamination of the clutch - and the wading plug in the timing chest at the front of the engine does a similar job for the timing belt.

I'm not sure there's much you can do to waterproof a starter motor, I'd guess that the "proper" ones (ie. more expensive branded ones) have better sealed solenoids, connections etc. but at the end of the day immersing it in water is not going to do it any favours. Not going wading is the best option.

It goes on the bottom of the flywheel housing, you should be able to see it when you crawl underneath.

no it doesn't check the parts diagram link, on n/a & TD diesel flywheel wading plug fits from the front face of the housing,

the Tdi wading plug goes in from bottom face --- he does NOT have a tdi flywheel housing on the engine.

I cant get to the wading plug on the flywheel housing because thr engine block is in thr way there about 5mm gap between. other people must have a proper getting the wading plug in on a tdi conversion.

Baz

others stick with the Tdi flywheel housing, on which the plug goes in from the bottom.

Disco 200tdi flywheel housing & wading plug item 4 in http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/32/45527/ compare it with the n/a & TD diesel in the other earlier link.

I'm not sure there's much you can do to waterproof a starter motor, I'd guess that the "proper" ones (ie. more expensive branded ones) have better sealed solenoids, connections etc. but at the end of the day immersing it in water is not going to do it any favours.

Bosch 'Gen Parts' solenoid, compared to Bosch 'OEM' solenoids...

solenoid_compared.jpg