Bare metal Series ?

kshurey

Hi all,

I'm just starting the refurb of my 84 SWB series 3. The body panels are fairly straight with no obvious signs of filler.

I'm not intending a concours restoration as I want a fun vehicle (no roof) for sunny days (I'm in New Zealand) to take the family for a spin and perhaps some gentle off roading.

I'm toying with the idea of stripping the paint, leaving the ali bare metal and getting the steel parts (including the bulkhead) galvanised.

Whilst the look might be to everyones taste I would appreciate any practicle problems this may give both during the rebuild and for day to day use.

We live close to the sea and the sun is pretty intense here in summer

Whats the best way to remove the paint to bare metal ? Soda Blasting ? Sand Blasting?

How do you prep the steel prior to galvanising ?

Would a clear coat of lacquer be a better idea to achieve the look I'm after ?

Many thanks

Kev

This is the problem Land Rover had with the one they did as a special.

as you live in such a sunny area, wouldnt the sun light reflect on the bare ali very brightly, especially off the bonnet and onto the windscreen blinding you as you drive along?

I think the biggest problem you'll have are the imperfections in the surface of the panels. Paint covers a multitude of imperfections - so it will be hard to make it look good! You'll be able to see all the deformation around rivets & spot welds as well as tool marks from folding.

If you can persevere with it and get a good finish - you will have to lacquer it as the Aluminium Oxide will form very quickly - and it will suddenly be scabby looking & not shiny!

I think it could look great though!

Si

Wasn't there a guy a few years back who did this with a defender? Had a TVR V8 in it. I remember seeing it at a few shows, only looked at it once tho as the bloke followed you around and immediately wiped/polished any part of it you might have touched/breathed on.

Its a nice idea but for me its too much.

But if you want it shiny how about a stainless bulkhead http://ollr.createaforum.com/general-discussion/back-from-holland/ :D

Thanks for the ideas and opinions, I'm not especially looking for a bright finish, it's a previously unloved 28 year old working vehicle. I'm looking for a cheap durable alternative to paint, if I take it off road or my little lad decides to ride his bike into the side of it I won't have to worry about a nice paint job being ruined.

Do it ! They look great,my wedding car was an 80" series 1 with no paint.The trick is not to polish it to a shiny finish,dull will do,then protect it with wax furniture polish.That was a tip from the Austin 7 owners club who often dont paint their alloy bodied 7 specials. My wedding car was stripped about 20 years ago and is still much admired for its lack of paint.

Do it ! They look great,my wedding car was an 80" series 1 with no paint.The trick is not to polish it to a shiny finish,dull will do,then protect it with wax furniture polish.That was a tip from the Austin 7 owners club who often dont paint their alloy bodied 7 specials. My wedding car was stripped about 20 years ago and is still much admired for its lack of paint.

Thanks

Thats the answer I've been lookin for !

Any chance of a photo ?

kshurey@talk21.com