Newbie: Disco 6x6 from Spain

o_teunico

8X8 seems good for getting grip, but I don´t think that it would be a good car for corners or tracks needing good articulation.

If 4wd is good, 6 or 8 wheel drive ISN'T always better ! On the type of terrain where that disco shown doing its thing, ie shallow muddy surface with firm base, the 8x8 Defender would be at a distinct disadvantage, with too much floatation. I found it advantageous to lift my leading rear axle off the ground via a double acting pneumatic ram for such conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is almost certainly not a Sandringham, unless a very early version that I was unaware of because the leading axle isn't a thrudrive type. And if there isn't a second transfercase between the PTO and the pillow block on the leading axle, then it couldn't get low range, or even correct high range ratio.

• 2 months later...

I have just rejoined the Pirate4x4 forum after 16 months, and in my inbox was a PM from a mr Eric Peterson, a gentleman in Texas who is rebuilding a 1960's Sandringham 6 with load sharing rear bogie suspension.

Anyway, he has read some of my earlier 6x6 related discussions on Pirate, one in particular where I alluded to the British War Department patented rear bogie design. He has kindly provided a link to the restoration of the Spanish Royal Family's Mercedes G4 6x4 limousine which features a copy of the WD bogie, showing the twin centrally pivoted leaf springs and bronze trunnion bushings wrapped around the rear bogie axle tubes to keep the pinion angles in check. As you all know by now, I'm quite useless at providing links, so I hope this works. http://www.gizmag.com/go/3663/picture/8140/ If the link doesn't work, O'teunico being a Spanish internet whizz would be certain to fix it up and single out the photos of interest

Bill.

At the land rover show last weekend I saw a defender with 2 rear axles, using normal trailing arms another transfer type box on the 1st diff so it provided and extra output onver the diff housing for the last axle. I meant to get pics but forgot :(

That sounds like the relatively common Ashcroft/Foley conversion.

Hi the series III could have been one of my early 6x6. Briefly ,I used a ser transfer case but offset the input hole away from the output shaft. This allowed a modified high range output gear to be fitted to the main box output shaft, giving same output speed at pto as the normal output. Next bit was to use a modified pto and because I had moved the centre of the input shaft I could fit a low range gear which would slide on the pto shaft. This arrangement gave fully selectable high and low for the third axle. If we could identify the history of the vehicle, looks vaguely like one i built for a garage in north Scotland. Happy memories. Ian Ashcroft

Hi the series III could have been one of my early 6x6. Briefly ,I used a ser transfer case but offset the input hole away from the output shaft. This allowed a modified high range output gear to be fitted to the main box output shaft, giving same output speed at pto as the normal output. Next bit was to use a modified pto and because I had moved the centre of the input shaft I could fit a low range gear which would slide on the pto shaft. This arrangement gave fully selectable high and low for the third axle. If we could identify the history of the vehicle, looks vaguely like one i built for a garage in north Scotland. Happy memories. Ian Ashcroft

Hi Ian.I wish you were living and operating your business in Australia back in the 1970's lol. Just finding an engineering shop with sufficient knowledge to understand what I was aiming to build, let alone willing to take on some machining work was a frustrating business.

Interesting description of the transfercase conversion. I take it that you would have had to use the smaller diameter 2.35:1 low range gear set, and cut/reshape the left hand side wall of the casting to make room for for the slider gear? I'm guessing that with the modified high range gear fitted to the mainshaft and the 2.35 gearset that the actual low range ratio would have been about 2:1 ?

Did you ever see how the LandRover factory workshops converted a series t/case to twin rear output when they helped with the building of the series 2 Sandmaster 6x6 ? I think there was a line drawing illustration of it in one of the Brooklands publications on series LandRovers.

Bill, your link is working OK :i-m_so_happy:

Rear suspensión setup

3663_08.jpg

Thanks O_teunico. The British War Dept who designed this bogie back in the 1920's after testing some early Renault designs, claimed that it gave superior traction to other multi linked systems.They described it as a "torque reaction bogie' To my knowledge the last vehicle to use this type of bogie were the Thornycroft Nubian 6x6 Airfield Crash Tenders.

A detailed description of the " torque reaction" principal would be useful, but I have been unable to find anything on the net.

Hi Bill I sometimes think we were living in a parallel world, yes the case side was machined, only a small amount, to allow movement of the low range gear and yes it was the smaller low range gear. This was all about the time we were trying to make the first ;high ratio transfer case; for the six wheel drive I moved the input C/L instead of the cross pin approx., 0.25". No I didn't see the LR conversion as we soon moved on to the LR 90 six wheel drive. Regards and happy retirement. Ian

Thank you Ian, and best regards. Thank you too O_Teunico for finding the maintenance drawing.

I can't see any top links on the bogie. Seeing as the leaf spring trunnions were free to rotate around the axle tubes on bronze bushings, there must have been some sort of upper link rods to prevent the diffs from rolling around.

I think the series 2 6x6 I earlier described as the SandMaster was in fact name Sand Trekker.

• 5 weeks later...

I have too many other things on my plate these days, but I have just been given a transfercase off an old FJ40 landCruiser. If I were to resurrect a 6x6 project I would think these would make a better and lighter basis for a pinion mounted drop box than faffing about fabricating a steel drop box and using

LandRover transfercase gears. The Toyota cases are already 1:1 ratio so can virtually be used as is once the low range components have been emptied out to lighten it down, as the low range bits are not required for the drop box.

If Mr Ian is reading this, could you please tell me if reverse cut 4.75:1 ring and pinions are available for the earlier 4 spline pinion flange ?

Cheers, Bill.

I can't see any top links on the bogie. Seeing as the leaf spring trunnions were free to rotate around the axle tubes on bronze bushings, there must have been some sort of upper link rods to prevent the diffs from rolling around.

I saw that too, if you open the image in a new tab for a better look it's called:

/Rear_wheel_bogie%2C_torque_reaction_arrangements_removed_%28Manual_of_Driving_and_Maintenance%29.jpg

So they've removed whatever those elements for clarity.

The only things I think I've seen with my own eyes with this arrangement are old Albion trucks. I never paid any attention to them but next time I'm in Biggar they have a museum there. Maybe there's something interesting about it there. They might have old factory drawings and test information there.

Rear_wheel_bogie%2C_showing_torque_react

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rear_wheel_bogie,_showing_torque_reaction_arrangements_(Manual_of_Driving_and_Maintenance).jpg

Thank you Wikipedia. Looks like quite an interesting torque reaction setup with a centrally hinged rocker with some kind of trunion arrangement allowing for sideways movement for articulation.