Newbie: Disco 6x6 from Spain

o_teunico

IMG_5759.jpg

The 2 furrow plows of the staggered offset twin Salisbury diffs, although not an exclusive feature of Perenties does again illustrate that outright cross country ability was not high on the designers list of priorities, unlike the U1300 Unimogs that competed against the 6x6 Landies for the Perentie contract. In fact, aside from payload capacity, these 6x6's were less capable in almost every respect to the 4x4 110's, and had to be fitted with Detroit Lockers in both rear diffs and the transfercase to provide a degree of mobility for the Aus special Forces in Afghanistan.

I'd wonder about sticking a Freelander viscous coupling in the rearmost prop joint, to give some slip under normal operation.

A VC would be an additional and unnecessary complication because the rear axle drive is only engaged for offroad operation, and for roadwork, the drive mode is the normal constant 4wd with centre differential.

to provide a degree of mobility for the Aus special Forces in Afghanistan.

Aw really..? They had these? That really is a bit pathetic. I hope they were better armoured than our snatch ones. I don't suppose they used them much before getting something suitable? There must have been a few hand shakes behind closed doors for this contraption to happen.

Aw really..? They had these? That really is a bit pathetic. I hope they were better armoured than our snatch ones. I don't suppose they used them much before getting something suitable? There must have been a few hand shakes behind closed doors for this contraption to happen.

I think the SAAS in Afghanistan may still be using them if stock mainstream news film footage is any guide. They are topless similar to British LRDG vehicles, so no armour. I guess they will be replaced by the 6x6 G Wagons.

Very heavy! But looks cool.

There appears to be a Series 6x6 PTO setup on eBay at the moment, a little spendy though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371001678948

For Series vehicles,I don't see what advantage that unit offers when compared to a an additional 2nd standard transfercase fitted with centre pto . These can be had virtually for free these days.

STOP PRESS! BREAKING NEWS ETC!

Bloody hell ! I was only going to visit this forum for a few days after a long absense. Caught sight of this 6x6 thread, and now I can't let go. Anyway, the breaking news is that I am on the cusp of working out how to bolt an actual series LandRover transfercase onto a diff pinion housing and converting it to a 1:1 ratio vs the normal 1.148:1.Anyone intimately familiar with Series transfercases should be able to follow my explaination.If availability of Series T/cases is similar to over here (free in many instances) doing it this way will greatly reduce the cost and labor involved with making a dedicated drop box for the job. I've dug out an old t/case and pinion housing and it appears quite easy to do by making a steel adaptor plate that replicates the shape and bolt pattern of the back mounting face of a Series gearbox, with the additional bolt pattern to match the 6 bolt flange of early series pinion housing,but offset about 6mm to accomodate the larger diameter of the high range gear, which would be bored out and have a pinion flange welded to it to match the pinion shaft.

Well that's the simple explaination, but because the transfercase at 150mm wide (face to face) is more than twice as wide as my original drop box, that eats into propshaft length.So I have decided that to win back some of this length, the webbing of the pinion housing can be machined back and a 210mm diameter steel mounting flange, containing the t/case mounting bolt pattern is then welded to the machined face, similar to how Ashcroft and Foley through drive pinion housings are modified. The principal once again as with my 6x6 is for the vehicles main transfercase propshaft to drive into the thru shaft of the leading differential drop box to the rearmost differential. The train of 3 gears in the drop box sends the drive down to the pinion of the differential, and the drive can be disconnected via the dog clutch on the thru shaft.

As far as I can determin at this stage, a milling machine would not be required. All machining can be done on a centre lathe capable of swinging the 125mm radius dimension of the diff pinion housing.

The transfer case for this application would not have the bulky heavy front wheel drive housing,shaft etc fitted to it.The low range slider gear spur gear can also be deleted and replaced with a PTO dog clutch. The high range gear that is fitted to the diff pinion is supported by the pinion bearings themselves. No additional bearing carriers are required in the casing, just the correct shaft spacing has to be accomodated.

BTW, this is just a hypothetical 'Vapor' project for me. I no longer possess a lathe and don't really have the energy to do another build. I 'm just putting my ideas out there.

Bill,

Have you had any further thoughts on this concept you floated? I was looking at a SII gearbox today in the shed and it got me thinking... If you used the trans box as above but flipped the axle to face the rear to increase prop-shaft length this mite alleviate the size issue presented by the trans.

Also, slightly OT but, if you had an 8x8 and drive the rear axles (diff facing forwards) through the top of a drop box, could you then drive the 2nd axle from the diff nose of the 3rd, so axles 2,3,4 would all be driven together and axle 1 would be driven from the front prop as per standard? just a passing thought.

TD

Bill,

Have you had any further thoughts on this concept you floated? I was looking at a SII gearbox today in the shed and it got me thinking... If you used the trans box as above but flipped the axle to face the rear to increase prop-shaft length this mite alleviate the size issue presented by the trans.

Also, slightly OT but, if you had an 8x8 and drive the rear axles (diff facing forwards) through the top of a drop box, could you then drive the 2nd axle from the diff nose of the 3rd, so axles 2,3,4 would all be driven together and axle 1 would be driven from the front prop as per standard? just a passing thought.

TD

Sam, I decided that it was too much work to modify a series transfercase to have a 1:1 ratio, when it would be cheaper and easier to use an early so called one piece Toyota LandCruiser transfercase, minus the low range gear to reduce weight.

The diffs on my old 6x6 were turned back to front, facing the rear to give much longer propshafts than if they faced forward. In fact the 74" wheelbase from front to leading rear axle would have been impossible with the diff facing forward.

I see no reason why your 8x8 transmission idea wouldn't work in theory at least. My drop box on post # 340 which was fitted to the leading rear rear diff,had a dog clutch on the upper shaft to disconnect drive to the leading diffs pinion. If the drop box pinion gear had pto dog teeth, then a short housing with dog clutch and drive flange could conceivably be fitted to the bottom of the drop box to drive the first front axle. But the overall length of an 8 X 8 driven in that way would probably be a bit cumbersome, and it may be asking a bit much of the 10 spline transfercase rear output shaft to drive 3 axles.

• 1 month later...

Mouse´s right button over the image. Choose "Properties". Select and copy image´s URL.

On Fridge´s post, click on the "add image" icon and place the URL you copies earlier in the dialog window, accept...and job done!

Depends how you value your time really. Would take a long time to whittle one from scratch!

Might be worth buying and copying with any additions you might feel necessary then selling on as an original piece? I suppose if it was taken to a place where they could wave magic wand and have it turned into a usb flash drive that a CNC milling machine could understand it would be a good investment, the piece could then be reproduced?

Sorry, will go back to work now as brain is seizing up.

Granted Barry, but the thing is that who else other than a custom shop would be able to make it? But they would end up costing you a bundle more in developing it first to be built, this is an easy way to get said USB stick with all necessary on it to be built as and when you want to, and it would be an exact copy of the original.