Getting Keys from Land Rover

Just hotwire it, feed all the ignition wires to the horn and put a switch somewhere else for starting it. You can change the door locks easily enough and if someone uses a screwdriver to start it you might notice.

Of course, if they've got the bonnet up then they'll probably just take it anyway.

wouldn't waste your time at LR dealers, they can only give you keys for the vehicle the day it left the factory. Much cheaper and easier to do the job yourself with a 3 or 5 barrel set.

Found this out the expensive way on the P38, £165 for a non refundable replacement key, which didn't work mechanically or electrically. To be fair though they did offer to offset the cost (£165) against a new set of locks becm and rf receiver a bargain at over £1000.....plus fitting.....not

Thought it probably would be. Jason, is that kind going to fit my 90? I'd assumed that the early ones the doors and ignition are always different keys?

Mine currently has doors from a 200tdi and what I can only assume is the original ignition.

The ignition is two parts, the bit with the barrel and then a separate switch on the back which is held to the barrel with two small screws.

Ross I believe you are correct.

Pre Td5 the door and ignition barrels had different keys, the door key being shorter.

The way I read this is that the vendor has had a special combination of locks made up that all take the same key, which on the face of it is a good idea. This either means the ignition lock is now using a shorter (read less secure) key, or they have got door locks that can accomodate a longer than standard key. How many levers does a standard 200 tdi era door lock have? I'm seeing 5 in this photo.

If I was buying a kit to replace an iginition barrel I would expect to see a set of security bolts included. If you buy a barrel from LR it comes with the clamp part too, but you don't really need that unless you broke it getting the old one off!

Ross I believe you are correct.

Pre Td5 the door and ignition barrels had different keys, the door key being shorter.

The way I read this is that the vendor has had a special combination of locks made up that all take the same key, which on the face of it is a good idea. This either means the ignition lock is now using a shorter (read less secure) key, or they have got door locks that can accomodate a longer than standard key. How many levers does a standard 200 tdi era door lock have? I'm seeing 5 in this photo.

If I was buying a kit to replace an iginition barrel I would expect to see a set of security bolts included. If you buy a barrel from LR it comes with the clamp part too, but you don't really need that unless you broke it getting the old one off!

The standard pre 2002 barrels have 5 levers and the post 2002 have 9 or 10. Theoretically you could still have the long key for the ignition (keeping maximum security :P )and then just use the end of this key for the doors thus having one key and the same level of security as before.

Before I changed my locks the ignition key would open the doors as they were knackered, however that does mean the key warding matched making the use of one key a possibility if you were to have the right wafers in the door barrels.