Abingdon festival

white90

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or whether it should only be in the "Getting Out There" forum, but the next Abingdon 4x4 Festival is on the weekend of 23rd and 24th September.

Further information here http://www.abingdon4x4festival.com/default.asp

Anyone on here going to be there?

It is an excellent weekend of off-roading - maybe not the most challenging for experienced mud fans but fun nonetheless.

thats the same weekend as the interclub challenge.. at west harptree.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or whether it should only be in the "Getting Out There" forum, but the next Abingdon 4x4 Festival is on the weekend of 23rd and 24th September.

It is an excellent weekend of off-roading - maybe not the most challenging for experienced mud fans but fun nonetheless.

Thanks for posting it over here as well Tony - I was planning to do so but got sidetracked....... :rolleyes:

I will be the the 'Red Heap' - now starring in a couple of Uncle Les' technical threads - a red 110CSW with white roof/full roofrack/orange beacon.

I'll be there on Safety duty again, probably parked up on the hardstanding by the ambulance, so come & say hello :)

I'm going with a trade stand. Never been before so have no idea what to expect. Stop by for a pepsi if you're passing!

Si

Si,

Its definately more about introducing people to off-roading and having fun doing it rather than a trade-biased event like the commercial shows so dont expect hoards of tricked up motors or hard core off-roaders. That said, it is definately Land Rover dominant but lots of other marques try (and often fail) to get around the off road course. The event also attracts lots of non-LR clubs who dont have their own shows and you get a lot of cross-fertilization of ideas and Sat evening is always a great social event. :)

Excellent weekend. Saturday was dry but yesterday was so wet that many were struggling. Eventually they had to close off bits of the course to avoid accidents.

Hopefully the organisers made a fair bit of cash for the charities they support.

Boatbuoy, you have a pm

Went there with Ralph & Mrs Boatbuoy, did quite a few recoveries / botched reairs / exhausts reattachments.

Got some piccys on orrp here:

Abingdon

Got quite a few photos of this chappy... :P

post-83-1159041510_thumb.jpg

Was very sloppy, much gloopyier than in previous years when I went on the Sunday (last moment decision).

Had a good time going around the course, did find myself going sidways a fair bit.

In a strange coincidence, I have that very same 110 captured randomly near the final climbs on the last run of the day.

if you own hn54 ysx, silver def 90 with what looks like a roof rack and tent

I have some video of the drop from the final climb.

I will post the videos I have on u tube at some point as well.

My LR4x4 sticker looks pretty prominent in the photos.

Only gripe was that with the hose pipe ban washing down was a pain - had some major heating issues on the way back and when I cleaned the rad this morning it was v full of mud.

Got to say though, getting bored of the course after 3 years - I know it is switched around and is an excellent learning course but I am starting to know my way around!

Perhaps some kind of twist for the upcoming year??

In a strange coincidence, I have that very same 110 captured randomly near the final climbs on the last run of the day.

That 110 is mine Steve.

Any chance of posting the pic you have?

The truck got a bit warm on the way home (don't worry Les I haven't cooked the engine!) and the rad was pretty full of gloop. The problem with mine is that, in front of the main rad I have got the air-con rad. When that blocks, it is like having a wattle and daub wall in front of the main radiator, which does not get any airflow through it. :rolleyes:

I can see your point about the course getting a bit repetitive. I have been every year they have run the event and, although bits of it are different each year, there is a limit to what they can fit in. I think this year they have pretty much hit that limit as a lot of the turns on the course were too tight for a 110 to get round without a reverse shunt or two.

It will not stop me going though, even if they don't change it much as it is a fun couple of days, local to home, for a good charitable cause.

Weather looks fine for Sat/Sun (little rain on Sunday - maybe).

I'm going to be arriving early Sat morining.

Si

Hi si, nice to have seen you there sunday, liked your show stand will pm you soon.

did'nt take much time to see all the stands, could have done with more like yours (Tec)

got stuck on one sectiion due to no grip/steering on a bent that dropped away

it was like rush hour on M25 with long que semi parked .

loads of marshals with recovery trucks waiting to pounce and camara's on set course

Stayed till late afternoon and water at far end was high enough pressure

to get mud out of inter C and Rad...

All in all a very good day out, will go next time.

Had a good day @ the 4x4 festival, saw Dr G, SimonR & A few others, this is Western & Earl Recovery's 110's on standby

IMG_1068.jpg

& the St John's 110 Ambulance, a very smart vehicle

IMG_1067.jpg

BoatBouy & myself recovered a transit engined Hilux [suspect snapped cambelt] towed back to his caravan for repair, he ran again later that afternoon, unbent a U shaped trackrod on a big tyred 90 [the white one in BB's pictures] & lots of other pulls from the hard section climb @ the long water/mud splash. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by western