Puma kangorooing

mikec

I had a Puma-engined Defender as a loan-car about six months back: the throttle-pedal was a lot stiffer than that on my usual TD5 Defender, but thats because I have disengaged one of the pedal-springs on the TD5 to make the throttle action lighter (cramp in your throttle-foot & ankle after 3 hours on the motorway a7 70MPH is not fun - the lighter spring removes the need to stamp so hard!).

Maybe invest in some thin-soled trainers or something for driving? I *hate* wearing boots to drive because of the reduced sensation of control. In really icy weather I even take my right shoe off for extra feel..!

If I took my right boot off I would get a wet foot, it is a Defender after all :unsure:

Anyway I have hated the feel of every "fly by wire" throttle I have ever driven, they are all too sensitive to the slightest movement. No need to drive in your slippers witha Tdi and it's not heavy either.

I used to drive Defenders off-road daily for work with chainsaw boots on, both my own 200Tdi and a Tdci 90. Now I occasionally drive a Tdci 130, though not in chainsaw boots I might add - just normal work boots.

Can't say I ever noticed anything untoward with the throttle "hardness". I always found it easy to drive Defenders in big boots, the pedals are a decent distance apart and you'd only ever have problems feeling them if the boots are brand new. In some of the vehicles I drive at work now it is quite difficult to just press the clutch in anything bigger than trainers. Have to use the very side of your sole, very annoying. Citroen Dispatches are the worst :(

Edit: I recall having this issue when I first started driving Land Rovers off-road, I learned to lock my ankle so as to not allow it to be subject to the vehicle's relative motion.

Edited by Retroanaconda

The throttle in my 2.2 is pretty light, certainly a lot lighter than throttles on TDi's and TD5's I've owned. I would prefer It too have more resistance and not have the funny ECU controlled delay, especially when off roading in low box.

All in all though the Puma controls are a lot more ergonomic and less tiring for long drives.

I drive our team Td5's and Tdci's often with 4 season climbing boots on ofroad/onroad, not the easiest of things, but never experienced kangarooing type driving, more "numb" feet i.e not quite feeling where the throttle is due to having fully ridged soles.

It could be you just getting used to the light pedal, but would have a look at it just to make sure all the springs are ok.

Mav