Transferbox/gerabox oil leak advice

Hi people.

(R380 short to LT230T)

I've got an oil leak which is getting worse from transferbox/gearbox joint area...

I took the sump plate off the T box last night and and put a new gasket on it and sealed that up as it did weep. I had a real good look around the brake drum to see if it was the aft output shaft seal that had gone, but I don;t think so... (need to remove drum to confirm fully - which I'll do when I do a rear UJ)

I have a sneaky suspision it could be the intermediate shaft O ring, but from insepction it did look overly wet...

Which only leave the gasket joint between the transfer box and gearbox... is this a common leak point?

Have I missed anything here I should be looking at?

Cheers

Mav

In short....Yes!

There's a useful bit of tech in the achive about removing approx 5 bolts and replace with threaded studs so that when you refit it you do not damage the new seal and lines the box up automatically.

It's still very awkward and heavy, but it'll help!

Quite, right reb, there's no gasket between the two 'boxes but there is a drain hole which (handily!) allows the leaking joint to drain out onto your drive, Land Rover thought of everything!

Steve

Yes. Box off as Steve says. It has to come off for the intermediate shaft o rings and the input seal.

In the tech archive, there is also an o ring 'bodge' that works quite well, To do the o rings properly, you have to remove the intermediate shaft and then set it up again properly which will involve stripping bits of the box. The 'bodge' gets around this.

Yeah I read the thread about the O ring replacment, just by pushing the shaft through then setting it back up as "was found" type thing...

hmm why would the input seal be leaking? does that mean the output shaft on the gearbox is going?

pull it slightly off and put silicon in a big ring round the shaft. It wont be leaking any more....

(At least the leak will distract you from the inter shaft leak for a while :blink: )

I have a spare seal if you want to pick it up.......you can look at me headlight problem whilst your here.

Oh and there seems to be a heck of a lot of oil migrating out of the speedo cable input hole... I think its a *hitpart cable so wouldn't be suprised if it wasn;t working like it should, is there meant to be an O ring at all down there?

Unfortunatley, you cant blame the BP cable for that leak. The speedo gear housing has an o ring that should seal against the transfer box. It 'should' pull out so you can check the ring is there and intact.

You haven't got a blocked breather have you? An ancient Vauxhall Frontera *spit* of my acquaintance blocked its transmission-breather and proceded to blow about a pint of the transmission-oil up the tubular part of the speedo cable so it poured out from behind the dash.

You haven't got a blocked breather have you? An ancient Vauxhall Frontera *spit* of my acquaintance blocked its transmission-breather and proceded to blow about a pint of the transmission-oil up the tubular part of the speedo cable so it poured out from behind the dash.

Hmm good call, I'll check that!

I'm that hopefull, I was quit excited to post up here my findings, the truck has got extended breathers that were on the truck when I got it, so went and found the ends (tips for checking if they are blocked is to blow down them *carefully* and move away you should feel a oily smelling air blow back at you) - did this to the 3 breather pipes aft and found one was solid... traced it along the truck to guess what - transfer box, got in there and took it off, I found the banjo type bolt had totally corroded closed, cleaned it up, popped it back in, wiped the oil dribbles off the lower box, so fingers crossed this will have solved the oil leaking issue!!! i'm so chuffed and a little annoyed I hadn;t thought of this - power of the forum works once again! I'll be taking it for a spin later, will report back to see if its sorted the issue! I got all the seals ready to and I was about to lunch into whipping the transfer box off!!!

Cheers

Mav

blow the breather through from transfer box end to or shove a length of wire up it to check the pipe is clear.

Hi Ralph, It was the steel banjo fitting, had full on rusted solid I drilled out all the holes and its cleared it, checked the pipe hadn;t been crushed too.

It must have been borederline blocked for a long time as this leak has been getting worse... fingers crossed its fixed the issue... just about to go for a drive!

Mav

So the blocked breather was causing the "valdez" oil leak I was suddenly experiencing... still got a dribble but i know thats coming out the front diff nose, and thats always done it. I'm well chuffed, saved me a huge job!

New UJ front and back and new front diff pinion oil seal should keep my rear door splatter free for another year or 2 fingers crossed, thanks for the collective help once again.

Mav