Square Hole Punches

JeffR

Make one ?

Or try G&M Tools* Ashington, west sussex

* Warning going there may seriously damage your wallet and relationship

OOOOH shiney things, my wife has just removed my credit card because of you.....

Should have mentioned that I need to make square holes in in situ body panels. It is looking like I will have to do it the hard way, 7mm diameter hole and a needle file. Only got about 30ish to do, I can feel the blisters starting already. add to that most are in aluminium and I better see about buying a decent file card.

Jeff. What thickness alli ?

I made a pile of radio chassis while at Catterick. They were punched out of 16 gauge alli.

I used two bits of angle whith the holes cut to size. The angle clamped together and a punch made from a bolt.

Could you not make something like only a square hole and punch.

Could you knock up something similar to a Q-max square hole cutter? Just grind a nut square and make the other part by welding 4 flats of metal together to form a tube and weld a washer to the end then a small HT bolt to pull it all together.

72326896.jpg

Is it for rubbing strips? If so tigerseal does a wonderful job!

Nope, anything that is screwed to the bodywork (rear reflectors, side repeaters, indicators, side lights etc) I want to fix with the job lot of stainless self tappers I bought last year! Also bought a shed load of these

post-25095-0-81665000-1362833939_thumb.jpg

Which fit in 7mm square holes! Have tried some round ones I got from somewhere but as you tighten up the self tappers they just spin

.... multiplied by 4 corners on each hole ..... and using a triangle file means two filing operations to each corner .... so only 376 flats to file ....... albeit not a great deal of metal to remove

Think I'd be making a doobrie to cut square holes :)

Would this work, given the holes only need to be accurate enough for the inserts to hold?

Make a die, a lump of steel with a 7mm square hole filed into it.

Get a length of steel bar at 7mm square. Turn, grind or file it so that one end is tapered, like a rat tail, to form the punch.

Drill your 7mm round hole, place the die behind the hole, place the punch into the hole and strike it home with a hammer. The tapered punch would square up the hole to match the hole in the die.

You may need to allow a little clearance in punch/die fit, or make them manageable to wobble them loose afterwards.

Borrow or hire a plasma cutter and make a template? You could probably make quite a neat job after 47 practices!

How square do the corners need to be? Could you put say a 1.5mm in each corner then used a dremel type cutting wheel between them?

.... multiplied by 4 corners on each hole ..... and using a triangle file means two filing operations to each corner .... so only 376 flats to file ....... albeit not a great deal of metal to remove

Think I'd be making a doobrie to cut square holes :)

My "skills" with a file are legendary, as the old metalwork teacher at school used to say "for God's sake, Robinson, never get a job in metalwork, never"

As it is it's too bloody cold at the moment so I'll have to convince (the operative bit of that word being con) getting a mate to make me something