Ever filled up with the wrong fuel?

Daan

I'll take any random mix of [petrol|diesel|veg-oil] drained from mis-fuelled vehicles. Sling it into the generator's fuel-tank and it gets to run my house when the local trees decide they want another wrestling-session with the 11KV overhead-lines.

OK then,seeing as we need to relate this to LR's,many year ago my wife put about £50 worth of petrol into our 200 TDI Range Rover and drove it 12 miles home.Apart from creating a large plume of white smoke and runnning like a bag of sh-te, it doesnt appear to have had much of an effect on it.That must of been at about 175,000m.Its now quietly rusting away at 232,000m waiting for the engine to be grafted into my SII....

A few years back my dad stuck 20quid of petrol in his old Di Transit, got a quarter mile down the road and it cut out.

He called his mate who towed him back to the petrol station with his Range Rover (see, LR content!) and brimmed the tank with Diesel.

Bit of cranking and it fired up and he drove it home and it burned the diesel/petrol mix quite happily.

The wife refueled our 200 disco with petrol once. She realised when she went to pay, so a tow home behind the 86" and a drain down and the drainings were used mixed 50/50 with new petrol in the 86". It was a bit smokey when cold but was brill once warmed up.

wife put 20l of petrol into an empty p38 diesel, it did all sorts of wierd things like stalling and not revving etc etc, i drained the tank and put a new fuel filter and 40l of diesel in it left it ticking over for 20 mins then thrashed it out the road, lots of smoke of varying colours. it ran better than it ever had before!

Put £30 of petrol into my Sprinter van. Realised when it started coughing & spluttering. Got recovered to a trade customers premises where I drained it.(Didn't get the tiddle taken - much!) Got used in the RRC.

Was lucky to get away with it as petrol usually does the fuel pump on Sprinters.

I put 75 litres of super unleaded into my Ford a few months ago. Realised just before it was totally full. Towed it (3.5 tonne!) back with a little 88" v8 LR and spent the next hour draining it ! I was lucky though, the tank was pretty empty so the fuel that came out i could use in my buggy / series 2a - just mixed a bit in every time we went out.

It was an expensive fill that day though - 75 litres of super unleaded then 120 litres of diesel to fill the tank afterwards !

G