Quick ashlocker question

mikec

Just a quickie here, does the ashlocker come in 10 and 24 spline versions? Can't seem to find it mentioned on their website. And I've just realised that the axle I'd bought thinking it was 24 spline is actually 10, I'm thinking they might swap it if they do both as the 10 spline shafts are stronger I think

Ok think I may have found an axle, but the seller won't pull a shaft to see what splines it is. It's an m reg 300tdi disco, I know it could be anything in there but is it more likely to be 10 or 24? Sure I read all discos were 24 but just read up again this morn and got the opposite info.

Nearly all 300Tdi were 24 spline, my mate has a 200Tdi and that has 24 spline!!

Easy way to check without pulling it apart is to look at the drive flanges, the thick flanges are 10 spline and the thinner are 24, if it the front axle the 24 spline has a semi floating half shaft in the drive member and there is a rubber boot over the circlip and shims, just ask him to send you a picture and post it up for us and it can easily be identified, on a point worth noting, 10 spline drive flanges are not compatible with all types of alloy wheels due to the width of the flange!! Guess how I know :unsure:

Easy way to check without pulling it apart is to look at the drive flanges, the thick flanges are 10 spline and the thinner are 24, if it the front axle the 24 spline has a semi floating half shaft in the drive member and there is a rubber boot over the circlip and shims, just ask him to send you a picture and post it up for us and it can easily be identified, on a point worth noting, 10 spline drive flanges are not compatible with all types of alloy wheels due to the width of the flange!! Guess how I know :unsure:

I'd thought of the flanges but he'll have to take a wheel off to take a photo, can't see him wanting to do that either but ill ask.

The thin flange and floating front shaft does not guarantee a 24 spline diff in an axle. I bought a pair of what were supposedly 300Tdi disco axles, the rear had been used in a 90 for a short while so the 4 bolt flange in place of the rotaflex 3 bolt was expected. I found out when i pulled a rear shaft that it was 10 spline. Also there were no anti roll bar mountings. Checking the serial numbers in the parts book showed that they were late 200tdi disco, the change to 24 spline shafts/diffs according to the parts book corresponds with the start of 300Tdi production. The late 200 CV joints are supposed to be stronger than the 300 CV joints.

But quite a few late 200 owners claim they have 24 spline diffs or is it that they have 24 spline at the front flanges and assume the rest is also.

No discos have semi floating half shafts. They are all full floating as they do not support the weight of the car at all.

If you have a ten spline axle why not get a 24 spline ashlocker and slip 24 spline shafts in?

I had thought of that, I've already got a locker, but there seems to be so much variation on what fits into what ( or maybe that's just front axles??) that I reckoned it was easier to just buy a full axle, plus sourcing a 24 spline diff and halfshafts

The thin flange and floating front shaft does not guarantee a 24 spline diff in an axle. I bought a pair of what were supposedly 300Tdi disco axles, the rear had been used in a 90 for a short while so the 4 bolt flange in place of the rotaflex 3 bolt was expected. I found out when i pulled a rear shaft that it was 10 spline. Also there were no anti roll bar mountings. Checking the serial numbers in the parts book showed that they were late 200tdi disco, the change to 24 spline shafts/diffs according to the parts book corresponds with the start of 300Tdi production. The late 200 CV joints are supposed to be stronger than the 300 CV joints.

But quite a few late 200 owners claim they have 24 spline diffs or is it that they have 24 spline at the front flanges and assume the rest is also.

We pulled the rear shafts and diff as I was replacing the rotten diff pan and it was deffo 24 spline ;)

Is it as simple as swapping diffs and shafts? I was lead to believe that there was a need to replace the stub axles and hubs also especially in the front?

Early Disco 10-spline hubs are different as they're imperial not metric, so just swapping the shafts wouldn't work.
24 spline shafts don't fit through 10 spline stub axles.

I wonder what's been done to my rear axle then.

Its an early disco axle, was previously an ARB locker now an Ashlocker with 24 spline shafts and the wide drive flanges.

I wonder what's been done to my rear axle then.

Its an early disco axle, was previously an ARB locker now an Ashlocker with 24 spline shafts and the wide drive flanges.

Your drive flanges are separate to the shafts are they not? I was referring to standard setups where the shaft/flange is one piece.

We pulled the rear shafts and diff as I was replacing the rotten diff pan and it was deffo 24 spline ;)

Is it as simple as swapping diffs and shafts? I was lead to believe that there was a need to replace the stub axles and hubs also especially in the front?

In the case of the late 10 spline units with the thin hubs then yes. The 10 spline rear is now a 24 spline as i picked up a NOS 24 spline diff center and via e-bay a pair of 24 spline shafts. The front if pennies permitted would gain a 24 spline diff and a pair of Ashcroft 23/24 spline front shafts.

I had a K reg 200tdi disco the flanges were thin and the shafts were definitely 10 spline, flange thickness is a guide but not gospel.

I had a K reg 200tdi disco the flanges were thin and the shafts were definitely 10 spline, flange thickness is a guide but not gospel.

This is a common thing with Land Rover in general, when the part bin runs empty use a choice of "A" "B" or "C" to continue production :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: