The "pass the bucket" crazy/dumb/idiot ideas/LR creations

o_teunico

what happens if you run day to day on say 205/40/16 car tyres

You cannot fit "car" tyres, because of load rating." Van" tyres are the way to go for city/road. 205/65R16 are the smallest ones I have found with adecuate load rating. 30mm drop.

Yes, in a Disco, with it´s steped roof, a single rear axle winch will be enough.

EDIT:

Have been thinking about the fact that only a rear winch will be needed, and how it could be a multi purpouse one.

MoT station will put the moddified car in a scale. Unladen weight + (number of places x 75Kg) must not exceed GVW.

A friend lost 2 places in his Disco (33", front + rear HD bumpers, HD suspension parts...). Here in Spain we say "hecha la ley, hecha la trampa", wich could be translated as "made the rule, made the trick". Unladen weight is measured with petrol tank full. If I make some electrical "trick" I could have a "full tank" reading in dash with a nearly empty one. That way car will be SIX seater, instead of just five. In a 2 + 2 + 2 arrangement I could make a Maybach centre row of seats.

maybachinnen.jpg

Between seats, instead of champagne, I could fit a (even cooled!) rear facing winch. Cable will run over boot´s floor, inside vehicle. It will be used as a cargo loading winch. There will be a "door" with a roller in boot´s floor, just above "A" frame, for using as axle winch. Finally, there will be another "door" or gate that will take winch´s cable to a hawse in rear bumper, for beeing used as a recovery winch. A snatch block could be used at the hawse for redirecting the cable to the front bumper.

Will try to make a sketch for this.

When I was a teenager with a Series IIIA Santana :SVA go away: the rules was the norm. Before every MoT test we were forced to change tyres from illegal (for the 88") 7.50R16 to stock 6.00, remove home made roll cage, remove headrests from Lancia Delta-Recaro seats and hide the rest of them with an old blanket and pray to the Land Rover God because if MoT tester noticed the Series II body swap or suspension mods we will have serious problems. The simple sight of a Road Patrol Police vehicle led to pants accident...

Now I´m looking for something that will be adecuate for my needs while giving peace of mind.

Very good solution! Unfortunatey the lighting used on tunnel´s roof will not be Land Rover proof...

200kg less for cargo, troublesome BOGE self-levelling strut, Borg-Warner instead of trusty LT230, difficult to obtain with 200 Tdi engine, higher price on the secondhand market...Apart from the above, regulations ask for track width increase when lifting the car. A Disco is taller. If you lower it with body swap then you will be able to lift again with suspension/tyres without the need of extra track width.

"200kgs less cargo'' Seems you are prepared to lose cargo carrying capacity by fitting a saloon car body anyway.I don't know of any saloon car that you can fit 1500lbs of cargo (RRC payload) in the boot of.

"Troublesome Boge self levelling unit" Not necessary to have a servicable unit to carry rated payload. just fit the appropriate Disco rear springs. What vehicle inspector or highway patrol officer would know the difference?

''Borge Warner instead of trusty LT230" Not all RRC's were fitted with BW t/cases. AFAIK all 5spd's were fitted with LT230's.

"Difficult to obtain 200TDI'' Diseasels are overated anyway. Run the V8 on wood gas :wacko: I think SimonX has got bluprints for a woodgas producer tucked under his pillow that he may let you borrow in exchange for some beer tokens. ;)

Now I don´t see why I should use a saloon car body. It was only one possible method for lowering the Disco, but I think that axle winching is the route to follow. If used only at rear axle it will be even more effective used alog with some extreme lift suspension at front.

With height restriction problems solved, my brain is now working in a bombproof rear axle made out of modified Salisbury casing, cheapo off the shelf US Dana 60 components (1.5" 30 splines) sourced trough the www and a drop box (following your design). It will be a widened casing, matching front Y61 axle, with a super offset reverse rotation rear diff for portaled axle like ground clearance.

"Difficult to obtain 200TDI'' Diseasels are overated anyway. Run the V8 on wood gas :wacko: I think SimonX has got bluprints for a woodgas producer tucked under his pillow that he may let you borrow in exchange for some beer tokens. ;)

The good old "gasogeno". Extremly popular in Spain in the post civil war years, due to propper fuel shortage.

gas10.jpg

gasogeno.jpg

Free fuel in the woods... :glare:

''Borge Warner instead of trusty LT230" Not all RRC's were fitted with BW t/cases. AFAIK all 5spd's were fitted with LT230's.

Wrong, from 87 or so ish they all had the BW, including my softdash with R380.

Fitting an LT230 is easy as bolting it in though, so I don't see why that should stop you.

I like the Disco body more than thr RR one. RR body idea was just a need for lower vehicle. As said, axle winching has solved my height restriction problems.

Some (bad) pictures for multipurpose winch and bespoke Salisbury/Dana

internalwinch.jpg

salisburydana60rear.jpg

Dana 60 Full Spool: simple and always locked. Perfect for a VikingWinch type thing...

YP-FSC8.75-30-2.jpg?1349469708

863ceaaa-a29f-403e-a4b4-e31697108181.jpg

EDIT: Have found what I was looking for

CUT-TO-FIT-FEATURE-copy.jpg

I always asked mysels how americans where able to service all those bespoke Danas on the trail. Cut to desired length and job done!

Have just recived the answer from the spanish engineering company about suspension and bobtailing MoT approval:

Bobtailing: NO. Chassis legs can be chopped and make bumper flush with body, but bodyshell cannot be cutted.

Suspension (homemade): MAYBE. Once made, a mechanical lab will say if it´s OK or no. Don´t need it, since I have discovered axle winching...

"Lowrider" chassis: NO

Have just recived the answer from the spanish engineering company about suspension and bobtailing MoT approval:

Bobtailing: NO. Chassis legs can be chopped and make bumper flush with body, but bodyshell cannot be cutted.

Suspension (homemade): MAYBE. Once made, a mechanical lab will say if it´s OK or no. Don´t need it, since I have discovered axle winching...

"Lowrider" chassis: NO

That I find interesting!!!

We have an SVA type thing here and it must be the same for you too then?

Although I would have thought a body mod might have been allowed if it was documented and engineering assessed?

They are... it's all a big lottery, following the rules will get you as much hassle as not following them, so nobody bothers anymore...

I just remember the chassis bit from a forum post a while ago, probably more related to chassis repairs than mods, but it should still apply.

I have been trying to get to grips with whether or not I can get homologation on a Dakar, rules say yes but practice says no? Also finding the rules seem to contradict themselves quite a bit when it comes to the difference between passenger carrying and light freight commercials based on the same car!!!

It really is like playing the lotto when you go for the safety test, Jean-Pierre was fine for yeas with his "A" bar then one day spotted as not being on the papers and he got fined and had to remove it and the lights for it, the mind boggles :wacko:

In Spain the problem is that regulations have been changing in the past quite a lot of times and sometimes even engineers don´t know how to proceed.

For example, a difflock cannot be made road legal because regulation is not clear about it :o

For example, a difflock cannot be made road legal because regulation is not clear about it :o

You're not allowed to change anything in the driveline, including a locker. The chance that they notice a locker has been fitted is very slim though ("What's that line?" "Axle breather" "Oh ok.").

I really like the KAM design. Having the locking mechanism "outside" the diff carrier means that you can use the full lock ability along with a LSD. Even if money is tight you can fit a LSD an then upgrade it to locker with the adition of some more parts.

Changing the disc LSD to ATB design and lowering the price to half will make them the perfect locker :i-m_so_happy:

Have found this pic in the WWW. I think that it will fit in the dumb/idiot category.

lift_1.jpg

An LSD or true-trac would be very hard to notice.

They may be noticeable on the brake test though, at least over here it's a two-roller that just turns the wheels opposite ways so they don't wreck the centre diff. Not sure how that'd work with a true-trac.

They may be noticeable on the brake test though, at least over here it's a two-roller that just turns the wheels opposite ways so they don't wreck the centre diff. Not sure how that'd work with a true-trac.

Either bang or perfect braking without pedal movement LOL

But I am still having difficulty understanding how a guy has had his T/box pop during the test :wacko: ???

Air lockers are the only way, in or out at the flick of a switch!!

Can anyone explain why KAM made their difflock so damn complicated and labor intensive to fit?

Bill, Speak to Nige(HFH) or Steve (Offroad toad) and they should be able to explain as they've both worked there at the same time a while ago

John