The "pass the bucket" crazy/dumb/idiot ideas/LR creations

o_teunico

Me?

I built something better! The vehicle was a mixture of experiments. Some worked, some didn't. I just built another vehicle using some of the bits - but gained a lot of knowledge which might be useful for something in the future!

Si

Cheapest lowrider suspension you can have!

DSC01633.jpg

Unfortunately the Disco has "square" coils and...

The only Coil Spring Ends that can be safely cut are Tangential Ends.

Because Square ends and Pigtail ends are designed to make full contact with their mounting points, they would have to be re-shaped after they were cut. But in order to re-shape them the steel would have to be heated and heat is a spring's worst enemy.

Remember heat is a springs worst enemy. The reason is it only takes 400 degrees F to start annealing spring steel. Anneal means the steel begin's to soften and a soft spring can not hold up your vehicle. You, the spring owner, can not do anything to make a soft spring hard again. A heated spring is a ruined spring.

So, Coil springs with Square or Pigtail ends can not be safely cut.

How far can a coil sprung vehicle be lowered?

We limit the amount of lowering to 2 Inches maximum. Why you ask? Because as a vehicle is lowered, the amount of travel left in the suspension before there is a jounce, metal to metal contact, condition is reduced also. Too much lowering can cause other parts of the vehicle to hit each other, and this would be a bad thing. So we say, and only do 2 Inches so this problem does not occur

You know you can just get springs wound to spec? http://www.coilsprings.co.uk for example. They are only a little more expensive than buying ordinary springs off the shelf. For most of my builds, I've had the exact springs I want custom made!

You can't simply cut the end off a spring as that changes the rate. The rate is inversely proportional to the number of coils, so the more you remove, the stiffer the spring.

Linear actuators are available waterproof (mud proof). The best place to look is electric window openers or ones used for moving big satellite dishes. These are all waterproof and surprisingly cheap! I've used them for all kinds of things! Ones made for medical applications (such as adjusting hospital beds) tend to be expensive and not so waterproof. Same goes for industrial actuators (moving things in labs or on production lines for example).

The 'strongest' cheap ones I found were window movers rated at 6000Lb SWL @ 24v - though they run happily on 12v, just at half the speed and reduced force. I've used one of these for an electric press using a chinese 12 to 24v converter from eBay. It works really well!

You know you can just get springs wound to spec? http://www.coilsprings.co.uk for example. They are only a little more expensive than buying ordinary springs off the shelf...

...but certainly no cheaper than a simple grinder disk :rofl:

I have been thinking about how much work will be involved in a -15/+15cm suspension and if it will pay off itself.

-5cm along with 205/65R16 will be good for 90% of underground parkings in my area, and +5cm seem to be enough for 35" tyres. That will save me the chassis "U"s, engine relocation, four link front suspension...all in all I will use it as a daily runner and for local 4x4 club events (no Croatia, Breslau, Ladoga or similar).

Instead of bobtailing it I could just remove the spare from tailgate and make bespoke front and rear bumpers. This way I will maintain seven seats while shortening the vehicle 12" overall.

Quotation for this will be:

-Running Discovery: 1500 Eur.

-Y60 Patrol front + rear axles: 1000 Eur.

-Y60 Patrol PAS box: 100 Eur.

-MQ Patrol main box + transfer: 250 Eur.

-Tormado DIY exocage kit: 150 Eur.

-Engineer + MoT approval: 1000 Eur.

If I do all the work by myself and make the height adjustable suspension out of scrap metal I could have a vvv good car for little more than 4000 Eur.

I've only skimmed this but I'm confused as to how all these mods may be considered potentially road-legal in your oppressive regime, but bolting a RR roof to a Disco body (a relatively basic nut & bolt job which few people would even spot) has been discarded as being not possible? Bearing in mind the body shells are the same, it's about the easiest way to lower the roofline and you could argue it's already type-approved to bolt the two parts together. In fact, just bolting a RR body on would also count...

If its anything like what we have her in Denmark, it could be because you change the 'identity' off the vehicle by changing the roof? Swapping mechanical parts doesn't do that unless they are from a newer vehicle..

Not illegal to change the identity though, will just cost you a nice tax sum.. Remember, in this lovely country we pay 180% tax on the new price on a Motorcycle. And that is of course 180% on the initial vehicle price PLUS import tax of 25% so you pay a 180% on the 25% :D Loverly country this..

haha well Ross, you know how it is, you just can't let go off your roots, and despite weird rules and regulations, I love my country, its a really safe and hospitable environment. If I ever were to move anywhere I think I'd choose Norway. Lovely people that have a lot of similarities to us Danes, and a REALLY great nature that I just love to bits! But will most likely stay here..

Nope, not enough. If the base price is 8000 you first pay 25% import tax = 10000 and THEN you pay 180% = 28000.

Though this is not all that is to the math, the first 750 pounds or so is tax free. So not exactly 28k.

This goes for all import, though only for new bikes. Used are based on the current market price (ie. what the government thinks is the current market price) so not very up-to-date in these times. So you pay way too much right now. So importing has almost come to a complete halt

Yeah you can figure why I cannot find a job as Motorcycle mechanic now, right? :P The main reason for this costly affair is , according to the government, that a Motorcycle is only a luxury vehicle, along the lines of exotic sportscars, speedboats etc. so therefore you have to pay more, because, apparently you have plenty of money! :D But there is a good side to this though. It also means that you only have to MOT a bike when your selling it on. as long as it's registered in your name it doesn't have to be MOT'ed, ever!

Instead of bobtailing it I could just remove the spare from tailgate and make bespoke front and rear bumpers. This way I will maintain seven seats while shortening the vehicle 12" overall.

Not sure exactly how you come to this 12" overall shortening as there is literally less than an inch between the rear bumper and the cross member, but I can certainly see something to be shaved off the front but not as much as you would be expecting and only just enough to give greater approach angles or you will be risking scraping the radiator grille if you get too adventurous off road.......

4" at front is easy, but as you say, bumper will be flush with grille (steel made one will be used).

At the rear both the chassis and the body will need cutting. If correctly done MoT stsation will not notice it (but will be illegal). Rear door handle will need to be flush with body and the spare relocated.

In the pic you see the Kk1 proto rear crossmember that my bro made for better depature angle.

p2031230pq.jpg

p4060414pq.jpg

Diesel tank? if you are gonna try and make it factory appearance then the fact that it is missing from it's original spot might be noticed? I would try to stay within the law in your province as they are getting mighty ferocious in hitting folk with fines these days for any breaches of the rules, my mate just had his car refused a test cert and now has to remove the "A" bar that has been on there for years and the spots and wiring all because it was not listed on the papers as being fitted before 2007, oh and did I forget to mention the 500 euro fine he got for having them fitted without it being on the papers?

Just be careful if you are gonna play their game, they make up the rules!!!

oh and did I forget to mention the 500 euro fine

It´s just money, worst thing will be being involved in an accident and your insurance saying they will not cover you because car was illegal.

In our old Santana (seats, +3" parabolics, snorkel, roll bar...) nothing was MoT approved and we were forced to revert it to original spec every six month for MoT test.

true enough but your proposals are irreversible as far as reducing the overhangs at the rear!!!

And yeah it's only money but it is not exactly pocket change, that is half my monthly wage my friend, wouldn't want to get stopped too often before staying within the law became a necessity if I were going to eat or have somewhere to sleep that month!!!