D1 to D90 hybrid...

So.... I happen to have a pile of D90 bits sat outside the house, left over from my truggy build. We got the rear tub complete & the front wings plus a pile of other smaller stuff. As buying D90's here in BC is expensive and D1's are cheap as chips..... and we don't have any SVA/IVA carp to deal with was thinking of building the wife a a nice hybrid as a summer run-around truck. Been looking for 100" build pics but all I can find are ones using cut down 110 rear tubs.

Anyone have any pics/leads on builds using a D90 rear tub ?

Best part is, the wife also suggested it this morning too..... result :i-m_so_happy:

Cheers,

Andy

So.... I happen to have a pile of D90 bits sat outside the house, left over from my truggy build. We got the rear tub complete & the front wings plus a pile of other smaller stuff. As buying D90's here in BC is expensive and D1's are cheap as chips..... and we don't have any SVA/IVA carp to deal with was thinking of building the wife a a nice hybrid as a summer run-around truck. Been looking for 100" build pics but all I can find are ones using cut down 110 rear tubs.

Anyone have any pics/leads on builds using a D90 rear tub ?

Best part is, the wife also suggested it this morning too..... result :i-m_so_happy:

Cheers,

Andy

People use the 110 tubs as its easier than making a 90 tub longer.

One option that may be an option is to do what ECR have done and make longer doors? that would make up the extra length.

i'll probably get told off - but have a look for a program called "A 4x4 is Born" - the guy builds a 100" special over several episodes based on a RRC chassis. Land Rover Owner magazine have also recently done this over a year in the magazine as well

i'll probably get told off - but have a look for a program called "A 4x4 is Born" - the guy builds a 100" special over several episodes based on a RRC chassis. Land Rover Owner magazine have also recently done this over a year in the magazine as well

Saw that when it first aired in the UK, he used a 110 tub... I want to use my D90 tub cause I've got it plus I have a very nice All Wheel Trim Mohair hood for it.... it's in good shape and already has the rear half of the exo-cage sorted.

What about putting the 90 tub in normal place & extending the rear arches back... sort of like the Ibex.

Like this one..... but truckcab & 3/4 tilt as I already have all those parts here.

[img=http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad306/Landy_Andy/D1%20to%20D90%20Hybrid%20-%20Jackies%20Truck/link2_zpsed744e48.jpg]

I quite like the look of that, minus the piece of checker plate used to hide the old hole. I've actually spent a while this week looking into IVA rules here about doing something similar but kept hitting the 'chassis modification' brick wall. Seems I need to move to canada!

We do still have hoops to jump through, I'll have to get it inspected at a federal facility. However, that's more like an enhanced MOT rather than SVA... I built a kitcar when SVA first came out.... I know all about that.... had to file & polish the radius on the Monza flip top fuel cap to 6mm cause it was too sharp, amongst other things :angry2:

Anyway.... seen any more pic's of D90's on 100" W/B using the D90 tub.... cause this'll be finished soon.... will also need an inspection cause I've converted it to LHD

DSC05722_zps762a8cc4.jpg

DSC05721_zps4a90cded.jpg

PS... anyone think of any specific problems apart from the diamond plate to trim the rear arch out.... might even just leave that off & cut the top straight back & add some tuck mudflaps on the back.

What about putting the 90 tub in normal place & extending the rear arches back

I think that this will be your best option. You will also have an extremly good depature angle.

Instead of checker plate you could use the aluminium already cutted for the new wheel arches. Backplating with aluminium + "cold welding" paste (Nural, Loctite or similar) and body filler will give you a factory look.