Help required - Project TIG Table

Hmmmmm :D

Well today saw me collect some scrap valuable parts for the project

1 x Deseasel <shudder> Flywheel from a fereelander, and a matching ferucked starter unit :)

On the bench with a scrap P38 pinion / bearing / machine the daylights out of it and / or a Metric scrap stub axle / bearing / machine etc, I can see a

possible working Table :)

post-22-0-88507200-1373048996_thumb.jpg

Unsure as to how to power, had the starter apart, burnt to a crisp, knocked the armatuer off on the anvil and I now have a nice drive shaft with

bearings bottom and top (when machined) 2 x mounting holes from the starter and with the soleniod removed half neat. also being a

High torque starter with 3 x gears the torque is increaed and the speed out less than 1:1 from the Drill I added to it as a start :)

also good are the tapped holes and bolts for clamping down, yippee !

So, fabbing + lathework will be commencing, but still unsure how to power / control speed, so suggestions please !

I will have a vertical 12mm apprx shfat to couple too :moglite: oooer missus

Thoughts ?....and keep the solutions cheap please :D

Nige

Well there is the air ratchet that someone mentioned earlier, but tbh the noise from it would get on my nerves..... I'd be going the cordless drill route

EDIT: with air power don't forget to route the exhaust away from where you are working or you'll blow your shielding gas away.

Hmmm

Bit of machining on the starter today :D

Cut of soleniod, macnibned casing back, pressed armartuer off on pres, reduced shank of gear drive and

then cut the starter tube housing down so new machined shaft has bearing each en and tigged gear into place fater gubbins

removed from soleniod :)

Ended up with a very short "Starter" mit reduction gearbox still in place, 2 x mountings for the unit to the base plate - and

a short shaft to connect drive to ....

post-22-0-44124500-1373141622_thumb.jpg post-22-0-95052400-1373141628_thumb.jpg post-22-0-83832500-1373141645_thumb.jpg

So, power drive unit + some welding and fabbing ahead :)

N

I have been searching for an affordable one for years!
Was dropping off some scrap at scrapyard and one came tumbling out of a skip being emptied. (repaired dc control box)
Make sure you have an earth that rubs on the chuck/platter or shaft.

I considered hydraulic motor before I found this one.

Your start looks good!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a windscreen wiper motor.

Again, all the advantages of DC drive (infinitely variable, reversible etc) and a big speed reduction built in. And cheap from a scrappy!

I have actually seen windscreen wiper motors used in industrial machines.

What I thought, in combination with the mentioned 12V train controller will give you all you need.

Daan

Something like this would do as a controller for a DC powered drill/wiper motor etc:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-40V-10A-Pulse-Width-Modulation-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-Switch-Governor-UK-/121111837420?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item1c32d3faec

If you want foot pedal control then a TIG footpedal (which I'm sure you're familiar with) could be converted to replace the knob.

Only potential issue with a basic DC motor & controller is the lack of speed regulation - without some sort of feedback to keep a constant speed it might change speed as you load it. This is one of the advantages a stepper based system would have.

For those who have no idea what I'm on about - it's like putting a brick on the accelerator and calling it cruise control, it will go at roughly the same speed as long as there's no hills.

How much it would really vary is dependent on how beefy the motor/controller is for the size of the job.

Ah... takes me back to uni, closed loop control of motor speed, damping, overshoot etc.

Then you get to play with closed loop positional control as well, all good fun :)

But I agree, a stepper will be much more constant, even with feedback control there is likely to be an element of instability in the speed, stepper will completely overcome this as long as you aren't overloading it.

Would it really need a feedback system? I wouldn't have thought of the loading as being particularly dynamic and if you were to have a foot pedal control you could adjust the speed on the fly, although that may get confusing controlling TIG current with one foot and table speed with the other ....

Modify an RC servo for constant rotation?

But yes, I agree - a stepper would give you more consistent speed control. Driving them for a constant speed rotation is a little more complicated. I'm not sure if there's anything that will do it out of the box. Certainly driver boards available from the likes of CNC conversions, but you'll need external circuitry to make it do what you want.

If you want to go down the stepper route, I might have a proposal for you Nige. ;-)

Modify an RC servo for constant rotation?

But yes, I agree - a stepper would give you more consistent speed control. Driving them for a constant speed rotation is a little more complicated. I'm not sure if there's anything that will do it out of the box. Certainly driver boards available from the likes of CNC conversions, but you'll need external circuitry to make it do what you want.

If you want to go down the stepper route, I might have a proposal for you Nige. ;-)

3.5 turns would be enough... so an RC sail servo would work. Not sure what the controls would think of the HF though?