Master cut off and Fire Extiguishers

white90

What are you using and any recommendations for a master cut off switch?

I've found AFFF 2litre on Ebay reasonably priced(bit annoying as I have 3 Halon ones)

Cut off required for the AWDC events and probably a good Idea.

needs to isolate

x2 winches/vehicle itself or could I have more than one?

I thought it was the powder ones that usually go phut due to the powder taking on a cement like consistency at the bottom of the can?

I am pondering what to get for my boat and think AFFF will probably be the answer in case of engine fire. I am also going to carry a bucket though since there is an ample supply of extinguishant all around in that environment :D

Cut off required for the AWDC events and probably a good Idea.

needs to isolate

x2 winches/vehicle itself or could I have more than one?

ISTR the regs need the engine killed via the cut-off switch.

So that means you need a "Motor-sports" kill switch which has connectors for your coil (or stop solenoid) and some protection for you alternator otherwise that will go bang.

Here is one at random on eBay

Alas these switches are fairly low on current capacity, and won't handle 400A+ of winches.

I've used what my Ibex came with from the factory - which is the part of the Warn CE install I believe.

There is a single can from a winch solenoid pack - this is used to swich power to the main solenoid pack.

This has the advantage that you can control it with a simple toggle switch or one of the battery cut-offs.

I use a 2nd cut off on the 2nd battery for the accesories such as lights/fans etc as they could easily draw 100A and cause the motorsport switch some problems.

I have isolators for each winch

could I just fit a vehicle isolator for engine and vehicle electrics

and leave the winch ones as they are?

would this be in the rules of the AWDC?

that would mean 3 isolators on the seat box, as I can't see the sense in wiring a vehicle and x2 winches through 1 switch.

any scorpion awdc challengers know the answer?

Have porcelain cutoff for your winches as FIA ones will not handle it.

have two, one for each winch and your engine cut off needs to be easy to reach, if you crash and are out cold, a Marshall can cut your engine for you..

As I understand it for AWDC regs you need a a engine cut off switch as described above and manual winch cut offs (for each winch) that cut the power supply to that winch in the event of the solenoid pack sticking in the closed position. I think that using a solenoid/contactor to isolate the winch power feed isn't within the AWDC regs.

My engine cut out also cuts the switching feeds to the winch (so the winch will stop unless the solenoid has stuck on, which apparently albrights don't suffer from this anyway) as mine are wired so they only work when the ignition is live. This however doesn't cut the main power feed to the winch solenoid and I had to fit a seperate heavy duty cut off to this for the AWDC event.

More or less - the way AWDC scruitineer it is that with the engine running removing the kill switch should kill all the electrics and stop the engine. Its amasing how many red raced people there are at scruitineering when the the isolator is removed and the engine carrys on ticking over quite happily!

It is acceptable to wire electric winches through a seperate isolator.

Cheers

Jon

Cheers

I have porcelain isolators for each winch

I'll sort a cut out for the engine/electrics

that will be far easier to sort than a complete rewire of the winch electrics.

just need to isolate the starter motor feed/alternator and the fuel injection pump solenoid connection.

Cheers

I have porcelain isolators for each winch

I'll sort a cut out for the engine/electrics

that will be far easier to sort than a complete rewire of the winch electrics.

just need to isolate the starter motor feed/alternator and the fuel injection pump solenoid connection.

For engine cut off I used a 'Battery Isolation switch with Alternator Protection' from VWP here

More or less - the way AWDC scruitineer it is that with the engine running removing the kill switch should kill all the electrics and stop the engine. Its amasing how many red raced people there are at scruitineering when the the isolator is removed and the engine carrys on ticking over quite happily!

It is acceptable to wire electric winches through a seperate isolator.

Cheers

Jon

try stoping the freelanders racers from running with a cut off we had to run wires everywere to get it to turn off with the cut off. :lol: