What Prop Shaft

Well came out this morning, reversing off drive wondered what had happened to hand brake as not holding, also no drive in reverse. Into 1st, still no drive.

After just replacing Master and Slave cylinders thought what have I not done right?.

Tried high and low box without success then tried diff lock, drive at last.

My son found a nut on the drive so went under to see what it came off and guess what? no rear prop shaft.

Now I know they don't just fall off silently, so only conclusion is that some thing has helped themselves over the weekend, good job it was left in gear or it could have rolled into the road.

My dilemma now is do I replace with genuine (£395.50) or other, seem to range from £75 to £185 + vat.

I know you get what you pay for but any pointers for and against would be very welcome. Also how can you make it difficult for scroats not to take next time?

Finally, is it still OK to drive around locally not going over say 55?

I would buy a second hand genuine unit, they are cheaper than the lower quality aftermarket ones and even if they need the UJ's replacing that's only a £20 fix :)

As long as you are gentle when setting off and changing gear I would say you will be ok cruising at 55, but the quicker you replace the shaft the better.

Might steer a bit funny though ;)

Should be fine mechanically, as above, just go easy.

If you off-road a lot, you could get a HD/wide angle version from Gwyn Lewis or similar, they have larger greasable UJs and less prone to wearing out.

Just a WARNING to anyone that this happens to, DON'T DRIVE without putting at least 2 nuts on the bolts left on handbrake drum, the small screw holding the drum on came loose and nearly lost the drum but for the silencer stopping it falling off.

Good point, as mine was originally missing that screw. However if its in properly it should happily hold the drum on.

Good point, as mine was originally missing that screw. However if its in properly it should happily hold the drum on.
Trust me even with two screws properly tight the drum still falls off I ran over mine stopped chucked it in the back and drove home put forementioned bolts on so it atleast rattles first.

Mike