Defender iPhone Ash-tray holder

simonr

Which one do you have? the Ultimaker or Ultimaker 2?

Mine is an Ultimaker 1 - I hadn't seen the Ultimaker 2! Ooooh!,,,is all I can think to say!

It's 3x the resolution of the Ultimaker 1 and says it's designed to be as simple to use as any 2D Printer.

3D printers on the whole are not that simple.

They remind me of Pen Plotters of old where you spent your life cleaning gummed up pens and trying to persuade them to draw consistently - whereas the next generation of plotters using ball-point or Fibre-tip pens were easy and then inkjet & laser printers blew plotters out the water. We are just moving into the "ball-point" stage of the 3D Printer evolution. Once we get to the Ink-jet stage - then, every home will have one!

I'm seriously interested in swapping my Ultimaker 1 for a 2! I'm so bowled-over with the performance of the first!

Si

The reason you don't see many heated cabinets is that it is subject to a Patent. These days though, the software has become good enough that it does the same as if you were trying to weld without deformation - limiting the heating in any one area too much. Even without a heated bed or cab, I get good quality even on big prints.

Si

Stratasys have just merged with Makerbot, this should make things a little more interesting in this area!

So... what do you guys think of this thing?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117421627/the-peachy-printer-the-first-100-3d-printer-and-sc

I'm very tempted...

Unless they can improve the resolution - not much!

I can see that I need to start a Kickstarter campeign for a resin printer - the way they made the assembly for directing the laser made me laugh a bit! They need to look at some different, existing technologies to build something faster with more stability! I'll tell you more when I start my Kickstarter!

Zoltan - I'm dead envious! I was half considering flogging my Ultimaker 1 and buying an Ultimaker 2!

Si

I can see that I need to start a Kickstarter campeign for a resin printer - the way they made the assembly for directing the laser made me laugh a bit! They need to look at some different, existing technologies to build something faster with more stability! I'll tell you more when I start my Kickstarter!

Please do, I'm sure you could come up with a much better solution!

Can I revise my last statement?

I looked at the page on my iPad - & it wouldn't show me the videos. Now I see how it works and that they intend to make a $100 3D Printer - it's fantastic! I've even put my money where my mouth is & backed it! Shame I have to wait until August next year to see the results.

The idea of floating the resin on top of salt water is really clever. The galvanometic mirrors are not the best, but are probably the cheapest way to achieve the scanning. So I retract what I said!

Si

Fair enough.

The long wait is why I haven't bought in yet, I'm a bit afraid it'll be outdated technology by then...

The resolution actually looks rather good I think, especially considering the size of the objects they printed.

May have to buy one after all. Damnit :glare:

• 1 month later...

Got my Ultimaker 2 yesterday. So far it has made a few 'lego' blocks and a robot. These were the default models loaded in the SD card.

There were several delivery delays and I think they were a bit overwhelmed with demand for these but I wasn't in a particular hurry so it didn't matter too much. As a goodwill gesture they included a couple of extra reels of PLA filament

It is beautifully made and looks fantastic when it powers up and all its LEDs illuminate the build platform. I am amazed at the fine print resolution in PLA and in ABS.

WP_20131122_001_zps9fc13354.jpg

I am an hour away from a print of a computer fan shroud for the dehumidifier for my camper. Boy, is it slow though!

Still, what it is doing is quite clever and I can sit here and do other things whilst it is working away printing. Makes some nice futuristic noises too!

That's a huge improvement over my old reprap in terms of quality of construction, if the software has moved on the same amount it's got to be a winner!

Can it do undercuts?

I've been outsourcing a fair bit of rapid prototyping recently just because I don't have the time to fettle the reprap. Been toying with a 3d systems projet but something like that would be much easier to justify... plus they don't weigh 400kg :wacko:

Been having a play to see what it can and can't do. I've set it a little task on a dehumidifier box so I will see from this how it approaches 'kind' overhanging sections

This is a section of my component to see how the parts come out

WP_20131125_002_zps1ffba456.jpg

Build time is an hour and half so I will probably wait up a little while and see how it does

WP_20131125_001_zps1388049c.jpg

Not sure what the tree structure is in the ports, if that is intentional but it is making a good job of the test piece. There is a little bit of lifting or warping of the base. There are strategies to avoid this which I will experiment with before doing the final print. This is printing in PLA which is a bit more flexible than the ABS but I still had issues with lifting on the fan shroud I printed earlier

WP_20131126_002_zpse3f249a1.jpg

It will be a support structure that it's putting in place to support the top surface of the square cutouts. Looks like it does it in the same material, others do it in a softer material that can be removed by hand or machine.

That doesn't look as good as the fan you posted earlier but an hour and a half build time is very impressive.

Does it have a raft option? That will put a thick lump of plastic under the part to help it stick to the base, give it rigidity and stop it lifting, you cut it off after. I find a belt linisher to be a good way of doing it if you have one, if not a knife or a bit of wet and dry on a bit of MDF.

What's the outline for on the base? It looks to be at the extreme of the part, I wonder if its a quick check to ensure the machine doesn't hit its limits when printing?

There are are quite a few settings to play with in the CURA software that processes the STL files. Pretty sure it offers rafting. This was done with it's default 20% fill option , 0.8mm wall thickness and 0.6mm base thickness. That may go a long way to explain the 1.5 hour build time

The outline seems to be a way of purging the extruder nozzle prior to the print

This was a test piece to see if I need to make design changes to achieve a better print.

I don't think there is a dual extruder option available at present although the extruder head has space for another extruder hot end already and the filament carrier is double width

Looks like quite a competent little machine! You've inspired me to have another go with mine. So far I've replaced the hardware that's been pinched out the PC since I last used it and found a working screen, which must be 20 years old. They don't make them like they used to! Now the software won't run, presumably due to the hardware changes so I've installed the latest software which will control the on/off functions but not the motor movements, maybe a baud rate issue? Now I remember why I gave up :D