Workbench - How deep to go?

I picked up one of those stainless catering bench. It's makes a really nice surface for clean work.

It would have been nice to have a heavy duty one to mount my vise to - but I didn't have space for both, so I fitted my vise to an ikea stool, which has proved very stable and useful for being lower and movable.

Ross as you and I are similar height I would strongly recommend a 1m high bench everyone I know hates it but then there all short arse's.

Mike

Having had a measure of my workbench at work, I'm going to go with the ~1m High. My bench at work is a bit on the low side!!

As for depth, need to get the tape out in the workshop but 2.5' deep seems like a good balance for me with my height and long arms.

Whatever you make sure there's at least a 4x2 or angle iron frame under the vice area and it's bolted to the wall and floor, I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs but spraying the contents of bench and vice across the shop when you were stood on a length of scaffold tube 3' up isn't much fun.

Will.

Whatever you make sure there's at least a 4x2 or angle iron frame under the vice area and it's bolted to the wall and floor, I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs but spraying the contents of bench and vice across the shop when you were stood on a length of scaffold tube 3' up isn't much fun.

Will.

That's the plan, Build it into the space as I go :). Will have some supports directly below the vice.

here at terex we have some service cart on steroids type things, along with workbenches, beefy steel and about 4ft by 2ft theyre ideal as mobile benches for assembly and dissasembly of backhoes. easy to keep all your other carp off and keep clean.

the benches are hardly ever used as a result too which keeps them clear