Creepy crawlers or BFG km2 muds?

dirtydiesel

I am about to replace the 35 12.5 r15 general at2's on my patrol with something more aggressive, mainly because it is being used less and less as a daily and i want to do some more p&p's with all the family.

Now i have had about 6 sets of the old tread pattern bfg muds and i have loved them. Great tread wear, good road manners, excellant on rocks and pretty ok in mud. now from everyone i've spoken to the km2 does all this plus they're a little better in mud.

I've never had any creey crawlers, but i watched them on a friends truck off road and they looked to work pretty damned well on everything except dry rocks, but they did look a little high on pressure. Plus fridgefreezer has been to the shops and back twice on his and they barely seem to have worn!

Any opinions on the crawlers specifically their road manners, especially towing or heavily loaded?

The at2 and km2 are both 113Q rated whereas the crawlers are 113L, L is only 75mph!

Dan I have 33" km2's I think there a very good tyre pretty much as you say they seem to wear quite quick to start (first 3-4mm) then they just seem to sit there mine have done done 15k and about 12mm left. Ash (perv) had crawlers on his bowler great off road but road manners left a lot to be desired he had a lot of wheel wobble over 50mph. Ash his just sold his and replaced with km2's mind he has dropped to 33". The crawlers (35") are 8kgs heavier than km2's (33"). And as for fridge he seems to only drive Eddie to your place and back I haven't seen it out in years!

Mike

Niels has 35" creepy crawlers on his YJ, 80Kph tops anything more is scary!!! His father has a Patrol on 33" KM2s and happy as a pig in poop sitting at 120Kph on the highway and nothing is a problem for them, not sure if it is just because they are 2" smaller or what but the creepy's are horrid on the road!

Although not on my road car I have started using Creepy's 37" on 15, and I am impressed.... moved to these from 35"' Silverstone's before that Boggers and before that Simex. The creepys I got do measure in life what's written on the side wall which is nice all the other tyres used before were allways under sized.

As expected (and why i got them) on the rocks dry/wet they preform loads better than the mud tyres did. I was surprised by the performance in the deep muddy glop as seemed as good but this could also be put down to the greater diff clearance. Side slopes also seemed good.

On fast open tracks (and the tiny amount of tarmac I do) I found they handled great, nice good predictable grip and great for sideways drift action try that with a Simex type tread pattern and those lugged side walls are always trying to catch and put you on your roof.

post-1650-0-31956800-1381928166_thumb.jpg

I have yet to try them some where like Croatia where the Sliverstone's have been amazing and I have been thinking about re-grooving them like they do in the states to help the tread clear quicker in the mud.

SO far i think they are a good tough tyre and (at the moment) supply also seem good :i-m_so_happy:

Sure the goodrich is a good option, I used to run the old style MT. If you thinking of going maxis, I would also consider the mudzillas: that has been the best allround tyre I have used. I have not tried the creepy myself, but from having seen others using them, I was not that impressed. The mudzilla, with the big V, like the mickey thompson baja has been the best self cleaning tyre I have come accross, and working on sand, mud and rocks. Slightly noisy on the road, but any other option you mention here will be similar.

Daan

As Mike says I've not got enough miles on my Creepies :( and I've not had anything on there to compare with - the Petlas don't really count as they didn't get used off-road, and the XZL's were a different story altogether.

What I would say is I'm very happy with the Creepies, off-road they do everything I need, and they react well to the application of the V8 to clear them out, I've gotten into and more importantly out of a couple of nasty places that way.

On-road manners, well, it's a tall leaf-sprung vehicle with a climbing frame on top... that said I have never found them a problem, they've never done anything scary and don't wobble, as you point out I've been to the shops and back with them a couple of times, including towing, and they have coped with everything. So far I couldn't measure any appreciable wear on them other than the "-n-tear" type from off-roading.

Only notable feature is they go square when parked up for long periods and take a couple of miles to warm up and sort themselves out, but I'd assume most big stupid tyres would do the same.

I have run both. The creepy crawlers were ok in the mud and ok on rocks. We did TAT and trophee cevenol with them, in short the're good tyres but are rock hard and cross ply which I'm not even sure is legal to use on a road going car? The BFG's however I have found to be far better in similar conditions, have legendary life and are more pleasant and a softer ride on tarmac. Steve.

Oh and Moose, you didn't have a nice thing to say about my crawlers in Romania?

Dan I have 33" km2's I think there a very good tyre pretty much as you say they seem to wear quite quick to start (first 3-4mm) then they just seem to sit there mine have done done 15k and about 12mm left. Ash (perv) had crawlers on his bowler great off road but road manners left a lot to be desired he had a lot of wheel wobble over 50mph. Ash his just sold his and replaced with km2's mind he has dropped to 33". The crawlers (35") are 8kgs heavier than km2's (33"). And as for fridge he seems to only drive Eddie to your place and back I haven't seen it out in years!

Mike

What Mike said, the road manners and predictability of the KM2's are fantastic compared to the crawlers, I had lots of issues with wheel wobble but now nothing. The KM2's are a pricey tyre and I will be interested to see how they wear but am happy with them at present.

No experience of the Crawlers but had KM2's on my 110 until I sold them with the truck. Great road manners, very capable off-road and soooo much quieter than the original BFG Muds... and felt pretty good over 100 MPH (On Private Roads of course)

Have another set now on the 90 and it's my daily driver.

25k miles and still going strong !! Great all round tyre....

I think i'm going to play it safe with the bfg's, the patrol still has to transport kids and tow 3.5t up to the legal limit. Asking crossplys to do this just seems daft!

Interesting to see some people using the maxxis in competition, the only set i've seen in serious use performed nowhere near as well as my boggers.

Tonight i've borrowed a friends brand new spare for a little offer up, i fitted it to some ebay bargin wheels which shockingly are the correct center bore and they even clear my brake conversion!!

DSC_0002_zps3ff8027f.jpg

DSC_0005_zps56c47f1c.jpg

They measure 34.5" tall on a 8j wheel, and are actually about 3/4 inch narrower than the at2's

No experience of the Crawlers but had KM2's on my 110 until I sold them with the truck. Great road manners, very capable off-road and soooo much quieter than the original BDG Muds... and felt pretty good over 100 MPH (On Private Roads of course)

Have another set now on the 90 and it's my daily driver.

25k miles and still going strong !! Great all round tyre....

The tyre noise thing will be interesting Niel, because the at2's were a noticably noisier than the old style bfg muds they replaced.

Interesting to see some people using the maxxis in competition, the only set i've seen in serious use performed nowhere near as well as my boggers.

Tonight i've borrowed a friends brand new spare for a little offer up, i fitted it to some ebay bargin wheels which shockingly are the correct center bore and they even clear my brake conversion!!

Looks good. Interested to hear what they are like when you have all 4 fitted.

My mudzillas were bought for russia; We were loosing out to the boggers on the forest tracks, but only the occasional winch extra, adding a few minutes. The big difference was in the swamps, were the mudzillas were performing amazingly well, gaining hours. despite being smaller, the boggers were all 37s, the mudzillas measure 34.5".

Daan