Just been brought home on the back of a recovery lorry.

simonb

Clutch release arm punched through this afternoon whilst I was in Reading on the way back to Salisbury. Drat.

Recovery flatbed was there in less than an hour. The 90 is now back at home on the drive, with the tunnel already stripped out, to do it all tomorrow.

Luckily I have a replacement clutch in the garage and a reinforced arm, so another weekend fixing it, last weekend it was the cambelt, and its booked for a MOT in Tues. :(

Clutch release arm punched through this afternoon whilst I was in Reading on the way back to Salisbury. Drat.

Recovery flatbed was there in less than an hour. The 90 is now back at home on the drive, with the tunnel already stripped out, to do it all tomorrow.

Luckily I have a replacement clutch in the garage and a reinforced arm, so another weekend fixing it, last weekend it was the cambelt, and its booked for a MOT in Tues. :(

Pictures when you do it ;):)

I have the series 3 for midweek and the 4 mile journey to work. ;)

The parts had been bought in preparation for the eventual rebuild on a new galv chassis - so they will be used a bit earlier than planned.

It's gear box, back/down on the end of of my engine crane - at least this way its just all nuts and bolts. The engine out method I find is more of a faff as more electrics and fluids are involved.

After a couple of hours work tonight, its just the bell housing bolts and gearbox mounts to be undone in the morning.

Got a mate coming round to give me a hand - bribing him with (a bit of) alcohol shortly...

This just prompted me to ring my insurers and double check my policy included RAC recovery .... And it doesn't !

They had sent me a leaflet saying all private car policies had free RAC. I hadn't twigged that my policy was PLG.

I'd even cancelled my AA membership on the back of it. Eek.

Well yesterday was a pain with the rain. Gearbox was out after a few hours and there was the broken arm. Old clutch wasn't actually that worn, but I replaced it anyway. Right pain in a&£e getting the gearbox back onto the engine, some long studding helped to line it up given the uneven weight, which makes it twist, but had hell of a job getting it to go the last few inches onto the engine. Eventually lying on my back underneath and pushing on the transfer box with my feet, I got it forward enough to get one of the bottom bolts in. Using a couple of longer bolts I was able to pull the 2 together and then fit the other bolts.

All the mechanicals (cross member, exhaust, props) were back in by 6pm last night when I called it quits.

This morning it was all the fiddly stuff - transfer linkage, earth straps, floor panels etc. By 9am this morning I was able to start the engine and with a relief, select gears. By 1030 it was all finished and test drive time.

Worryingly there was a tinkling sound coming from either the exhaust or transfer box rear. I had heard the same when refitting the props last night. It also seemed to be there when stationary. Another crawl underneath and to my relief I quickly spotted the heatshield on the transfer box mount was touching the metal of the mount. Quick lever away with index finger and all silent. Phew.

I had considered cancelling my AA policy as I've only used it twice in 20 years before this, once when I looked myself out and another time when a hire car I had, had no rear lights - blown fuse. In the end I went for a basic policy but did include recovery - thank goodness for that.

So clutch change in just about a day with a few hours work either side of that. I need a good lie down!

post-237-0-51330900-1382878060_thumb.jpg