croatia trophy 2014

Daan

I think we will be going again had such a blast last year,

But have yet to sit down with the rest of the team and plan it.

If anybody is looking to do this event for the first time and has questions shout and i will try and help with some of the lesson we learnt last year :)

Paul

Rough cost. of event and fuel require at event?
Traveling down there. best and easiest routes? rough cost for the 1500+ mile trip
Event camping / hotels whats best and cost?
Spares availability or is it a case of helping everyone out / take your own?
Did you trailer or lorry it down there with a 1 or 2 vehicles on?
food while at the event? diy or provided for you?

In the reg sheet it says no home made cages, how far / true is this? do you have to have a serial number on the cage?

For the extreme class, (trophy) how much equipment (trip counters etc) do you need? it says no mobile and gps equipment allowed bar for emergencies,

Looking to do 2015.. but require so real costings and picture painting from someone real rather than Big teams as the costs may differ.

Thanks in advance

Looking to do 2015.. but require so real costings and picture painting from someone real rather than Big teams as the costs may differ.

Thanks in advance

Rough cost. of event and fuel require at event?

I cant remember entry cost but i have it in my mind that it was around 2000euro for a race car two people for this you get 8 day of full offroading and food (breakfast, pack lunch and dinner)

support people need to pay for food/camping plus there is also a charge car per support/tow vehicle and trailer.

Fuel during the event depends on your engine we were doing a about 25 litres diesel a day, but then i am running an old 200tdi not a 5liter V8 ;) the longest day was about 80km.

Traveling down there. best and easiest routes? rough cost for the 1500+ mile trip

Its a slog especially when towing at 60 ish mph last year we did it in 30 hours door to door (Southampton to the event camp) non stop driving. I found the most cost effect channel crossing for us was car ferry at stupid o'clock at night booked well in advanced. The route we took was the main arterial (non toll) road through Europe its busy even in the dead of night. My tip for driving in Europe is get into a habit of always driving with your head lights on then when you hit a country where its law you don't forget. We were pull (almost at gun point) near Budapest on our way to Romania one year by a very bad tempered cop.

You will not even notice the first few country boarders, the Croatian border was the only one we had to stop at as we have a van so wanted a look inside. Just remember to buy a Vignette (road Tax) for the countries that need it.

Event camping / hotels whats best and cost?

Camping is included in the entry cost, you could hotel it as it is cheap (all the press i think do) but you would miss out on camp life which (for us) is a much fun as the offroading. Camping is basic tho, porter loos (and thats the European kind) and hose pipe for water, If we go again we will defiantly take a shower. The weather at the time of the event has the potential to be very wet so i would advise a good pit tent to work under, last year some days it was 30degC and sunny others is was chucking it down and 14degC.

Spares availability or is it a case of helping everyone out / take your own?

I was surprised how much LandRover there was about so bog standard part could sometimes be swapped/begged/borrowed of other teams but best to try and take as much as you think you will need. You can forget getting any thing shipped down to you, we needed a m24 rose joint (I forgot the spare) it took a week to get down to us broke it on the first day and had the new one for the last day (a 30 quid part ending up costing a few 100 pounds). But every one in camp is helpfully we were able borrows welders etc...

Did you trailer or lorry it down there with a 1 or 2 vehicles on?

I would do not use a lorry as this is a commercial vehicle so extra costs every where, ferry, tolls, road taxs etc.. Also places like Germany you can not drive a commercial vehicle at certain times like (i think) weekends and public holidays (like the day we drove down).

food while at the event? diy or provided for you?

Food is provided with entry but we did supplement it. But once when we had a good day and got in early after the truck was prepped we headed in to town for a beer a pizza.

In the reg sheet it says no home made cages, how far / true is this? do you have to have a serial number on the cage?

The scrutineering is like all the European event I have been too, there is more interested in if you have all the stickers on in the correct place. But that said in that week we rolled the truck onto its side twice and rammed a tree at about 30mph on the front wing, so i wouldn't do it without a trusted cage.

For the extreme class, (trophy) how much equipment (trip counters etc) do you need? it says no mobile and gps equipment allowed bar for emergencies,

For both classes (we did adventure) you need the same amount of kit ie winches, lockers and a trip. The difference between Adventure and Trophy class is the winch sections Trophy have the longer harder sections.

I only have single motor winches so we did Adventure at first we thought might be easy but we had to really work at it and this class for us made for some good close racing.

One thing you have to factor in is that you can not do this event with out support, we had 3 good friends helping us (me and my co driver). Its a lot to ask and you need to have guys that you can completely trust or the whole trip can fall apart quickly destroying your event (I have had this happen).

hope this helps a bit

Paul

One thing you have to factor in is that you can not do this event with out support

Paul, is this by regulation or because of time constrains? I think quite a few teams are just a car, driver and co driver (never been to croatia myself, but I know a few dutch teams that have). Appreciate you would double up driving and spannering the car, but it starts to get expensive having to pay peoples expenses to be there (If you can get people that can and want to take time off to do it).

Daan

Paul, is this by regulation or because of time constrains? I think quite a few teams are just a car, driver and co driver (never been to croatia myself, but I know a few dutch teams that have). Appreciate you would double up driving and spannering the car, but it starts to get expensive having to pay peoples expenses to be there (If you can get people that can and want to take time off to do it).

Daan

Sorry when i said "you cant do the event with out some support", what i should of said is "i couldn't do it with out support" by all means you could do it all by your self if you want to but ... most nights the truck came in looking like this...

post-1650-0-11296600-1384967900_thumb.jpg post-1650-0-10497000-1384967954_thumb.jpg

and when your covered head to toe in mud and in need of food etc.. it helps massively to have some one that can jump straight on the truck and start getting it fit again for the next day.

We were lucky really and didn't break all that much but a few night we were working on the truck until gone 2am, some team where working pretty much all night.

I do know that some of the teams share support but what happens when both trucks are broken which one get the most attention etc..

I was incredibly lucky to have 3 guys able to come along not sure i will have that luxury again.

doing it all your self as a 2man team adds a whole extra level of hardcore :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

when door tops are plastered you cant see out.

bigger wheel arches are better!

its a great event, i have been lucky enough to codrive for the last three. unfortunately CT13 wasnt a good year for us, head went on suspension testing so we changed that, then did the prologue and lost power, so changed the engine on day 2 and then it sort of went downhill from there. It was a long comp for me, i am giving it a miss for Ct14, too upset by how bad this year went!

• 3 weeks later...

how are these events organised to cater, re food/accomadation availability, transport to stages etc for spectators that are not connected with any competing teams?

In 2 words,, "They dont "

Its as much as you can do, to blag one of the press sheets, which have tulips to get to 2/3 points per day,,

Or find a friendly competitor, and try and fathom out the route via their roodbook, (not that easy first time there)

Only way you could do it, is flying in, hire car, and stay at the hotel (10kms away)

Or try and get a camp spot/meal ticket from the organisers,, work on about 450 odd euros

Saying that, glad i have been a couple of times,, good event, but how much longer it will run in its current format ??

Will run for years in it's current format. Can't see why it should change? Or need to. Does it run to any motoring organisation? MSA or the Croatian equivalent?

i think TJ was hinting towards the fact Croatia joining the EU. it runs to no central organisation that i am aware of. i dont believe they even pay for the ground they use. i know we had to move campsite fields after the field that they had used for a while someone claimed ownership of and wanted some ££ for the use of it, so they just picked another field next door.

i hope it stays as it is but i expect the perception within the powers that be will ensure things are changed there.

As JST says above

I really hope it stays at it is as well,,

I also had the feeling that last year, Igor seam to have lost a bit of interest ? could be wrong,,

Most crews know certain junctions by the look of the tulip in the road book, and the route is done all in his head, and all the same as previous, just rearrange each year

It certainly does not run to any organisation affiliated to the FIA !! would have been shut down years ago !!

OK, didn't realise you were thinking along those lines.

But hasn't Croatia been trying to enter the EU for years? Nothing has been mentioned of a joining date as far as I can see on the net but that doesn't mean it hasn't been mentioned.

Either way it looks agreat event, shame there isn't anything closer to home

A couple things, having run support for Paul as part of Moose Offroad:

Without blowing my own trumpet, a support crew you can trust is a must. Croatia is harder than any single day UK event, running for 8 days. On our worst day Paul and Tony rolled into camp at 8pm, having left at 8am. That night we had to clean the truck, rebuild the front axle, straighten the cage and wedge the passengers door closed, 'adjust' the front suspension following tree impact, change the alternator and various other jobs I can't remember. You don't want to have to worry about that after 12 hours + in the truck.

Going to spectate isn't easy. The courses are spread out over a wide area with most access only by a press road book. I don't think there's any option to camp unless you're supporting a team. The best thing is to go with a team and catch a ride out into the forest with someone who knows the areas. Camping + food is €250 per person.

It's an excellent event though. Amazing off roading, amazing area, proper rustic camping and last year was properly hard work! I'll be going again with Paul, if he'll have me!

Oh, and regarding the event's continuation under the EU flag, event entry is in Euros anyway and there's no sign of Croatia joining the Euro. EU legislation will catch up with it eventually, but not in the near future!

Before we went I couldn't find any pictures of day-to-day life in Croatia Trophy, so here's some of mine from CT2013 (from a normal, low budget team that is!):

The team on day 1

post-5209-0-72271000-1388437243_thumb.jpg

Camp washed out on the first day of rain

post-5209-0-79108200-1388436910_thumb.jpg

Trying to get some kit dry in a break in the rain

post-5209-0-75891300-1388436924_thumb.jpg

Late night chassis mods

post-5209-0-30504300-1388436937_thumb.jpg

Overheated out on stage

post-5209-0-37723800-1388436944_thumb.jpg

Typical state of the guys after a day in the forest

post-5209-0-19569800-1388436954_thumb.jpg

Late night repair work

post-5209-0-36349200-1388436965_thumb.jpg

post-5209-0-10655800-1388436474_thumb.jpg

i think our latest into camp (this time on a trailer with a dead engine) was 0400hrs. we were back out at 0900ish.... we had left at 0800 the previous morning, so you can have long days.

i was glad to have some extra kit on board, it gets cold out there!

I stumbled across my costings for last year, for those that were asking:

Comp truck entry €1400

Support truck €250

Trailer €150

Support crew per person €250

Ferry Dover Calais £160 for tow truck and trailer, £70 for support truck

Fuel to get there £650 tow truck, £500 support truck

Vignettes, tolls etc £150 total

Fuel event £250

Insurances, recovery etc £400 approx

Living expenses there £500 approx

Our total for 5 man team, 2 vehicles, trailer, was €4200 entry, plus £2600 in getting there and living, plus much cost of breakage!